Windows XP Advice...

Status
Not open for further replies.
what ever it is after sp2 there are still problems and bugs n stuff so guyz keep ur windows uptodate wether you have sp2 or not... n guys the windows builtin firewall sucks so get another one ...

ShoobieRat said:
SP2's new security and firewall features are not just geared towards people who use IE and the RealOne Network.

If you download, connect to the Internet, recieve email, or anything else that connects you to the digital realm, you're at risk, and SP2 helps. End of story.

This "IE is the only problem" stuff is just pure horse crap. You may be more at risk using IE, but if you're an idiot it doesn't matter what you use.

IE ain't going anywhere, either, so we can ditch that myth too. IE is still most widely used, and the most compatable with new (and existing) technologies, and remains the key focus for web developers and browser-application developers.

Bottom line: It doesn't matter what browser or OS you use, there's nothing better than intelligence. A firewall alone won't save you. A VP app alone won't save you. And you could have Linux with the worlds best AV apps and firewalls, and still get wasted if you don't make an effort to keep things up to date and connect smartly.

This is the digital age, and like anything else (banking, owning a car, home, etc) you have to make an effort to protect yourself. If you don't keep your AV apps up to date and you go surfing through shady websites and P2P sites, the viruses you get are your own fault and not the applications.

The tools have been provided. Use them, or don't complain.

Very well said, go Shoobie

I've been trying to tell people that on here for a while now, but you explained it better than me..

Warez Monster said:
Very well said, go Shoobie

I've been trying to tell people that on here for a while now, but you explained it better than me..

the point that you all miss is... and will never get is....

you have to an expert with great computer knowlegde and you have to use 3rd party tools to make IE fairly safe

you can have an IQ of 10, and use firefox straight out the box and be fairy safe

I dont know why I said that. I was thinking of something else...What 3rd party tools are you suggesting we use?

you have to an expert with great computer knowlegde and you have to use 3rd party tools to make IE fairly safe

What 3rd party tools are you suggesting we use?

Such as AdAware SE, Spybot, SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard, BugOff, an A/V, a Firewall and NOT the one provided by SP2, and now add Microsoft® Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) and use everyone of them RELIGIOUSLY and keep them updated.

THAT keeps IE safe and then still use another browser such as Firefox or Opera that isn't based on the IE platform.

To find ALL these programs I've mentioned, with the exception of the Microsoft one, go to http://www.majorgeeks.com/ and check out the Spyware Tools section, the A/V section, and the Firewall section. Liz

Oh, those....I see...Duh...thought you might have been talking about some other type of program...

3 of them are them are in your profile
4, actually, I don't put Bugoff there cause most people don't have a clue what to do with it. And the A/V and Firewall are individual preferences. Microsoft's program is still in Beta and some people are wary of that. Liz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom