here's another problem for ya!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cafshere

Solid State Member
When i view the dir of c: drive in dos my drive name has been altered but not by myself, pc main is renamed to pc mein$ and all my windows files that are there also have $ in place of some letters, does anyone know what might be causing this as I am coming up blank and it may well be something that ties in with my previous post, please help if you can :sigh:

the only thing i can think of is that it could be a virus. get avg or a good virus scan and check it out.

it seems to have turned main into german. or i may be wrong, hope that helps

do you know any good dos virus checkers as i haven't found one as yet, thanks for the suggestion

and if you only have dos, get macAfee virusscan, and when in dos goto the folder for that program and run 'scan.exe'

that should work

but i will look aroujd a bit for you as well

I can't install windows at all setup stops responding and crashes me puter, thanks chesman I will try that i have tried a few but they don't seem to work.....*S*

This is the most confusing thread I have ever seen.

So your trying to install Win but your getting funky characters at the DOS prompt?

yes i get as far as windows is copying files for set up and then it seems to stop responding and i get three coloured blocks on the screen randomly placed with letters in them and my drive name is changed from pc main to pc mein$ very strange

Do a fresh format, including the Master Boot Record.

Then go and d/l the XP boot floppies. Should be 5 of them. Boot off of that and it should bypass the section that you are getting hung up on.

i am running windows me or at least that is what i am trying to install, so i can't use the xp boot disks thanks for the suggestion though....*S*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom