Intel Motherboard... or NVIDIA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flexx

Baseband Member
Hi!

I've been looking at hardware for the past couple of months, reading up, because I plan on building a computer sometime near the end of this year.

I'm going for a Pentium 4 processor. Now, my question is, what is the difference in buying an Intel motherboard for the Pentium 4 and a NVIDIA motherboard for the P4? I thought the type of motherboard you buy is specifically for your CPU, but NVIDIA offering them I'm guessing that it must also fit your GPU?

I'm going GeForce for my GPU, naturally. I was wondering what the difference is in getting an Intel motherboard vs. a NVIDIA motherboard.

Thanks for any help.

Re:

Hello,

I'd say get the Intel Motherboard, simply because it would probably be better tailored to supporting your Intel Penitum 4 Processor- as Intel made it themselves.

However, there isn't anything wrong with buying Motherboards from other manufacturers. There are many other motherboard manufacturers, many reliable such as ASUSTeK and MSI (there are more I can't remember! :D ). They are all tailor made to fit specific specifications, and can be different. So it's not necessarily that a brand specific board purchased to couple with the same brand component will operate any better. There are other motherboards out there which will do the job just as great, maybe even better. Motherboards are really made to fit a certain type of user, and a certain type of Processor.

As long as you are happy with the specifications, then you're good to go.

do you mean the chipset is manufactured by nvidia? post the motherboards that you are deciding between and someone will be able to help you out even more.

I heard about an NVIDIA nforce motherboard chipset which will be available for P4 processors, but it isn't out yet (the nforce5). On Newegg, the most current nforce chipsets are for AMD and they're nforce4. I've read bits and pieces online about the upcoming nforce5 for Pentium processors, but you guys know more than me (first computer I'm putting together, after all).

I really know hardly anything about motherboards, and am ignorant of the advantages of one over another... :(

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=19-116-195&DEPA=1

That is the CPU I'm aiming for, and most likely will be getting (again, this will be later on in the year).

I hope I'm at least making some sense.

Refer to the board as an Nforce chipset, not simply nvidia. That's like saying Adobe when referring to photoshop. They are the company, they make many things.

Nforce are good chipsets, but I really don't know Intel so I couldn't compare it against other chipset available to them.

read above post. Nvidia does NOT make chipsets for intel, they only make chipsets for AMD. Check the website if you dont believe me.

Yeah, I saw your above post.

Why don't you read this above post:

"I've read bits and pieces online about the upcoming nforce5 for Pentium processors, but you guys know more than me (first computer I'm putting together, after all)."

I personally don't know about it, but he's saying nvidia has plans to make an nforce chipset for intel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom