is this too high a temp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnev_89

Daemon Poster
i just built my new pc, and it's been working awesome so far:D

i have one question though. it's been folding the whole night, and the temp is stable at 54 c (nothing has been oced yet). is this too high a temp to even attempt ocing? i see everyone saying that temps should be <40 c. am i missing something? i'm using a 2.8ghz prescott (i realize those run hotter, but how much hotter?), and a huge 120mm zalman heatsink.

thanks

Well if you plan to overclock a prescott, I would recommend some kick ass cooling, or maybe even water cooling. 54 is pretty much normal for idle prescotts. It would probably be worth water cooling if you want to overclock, other than that, you might have problems with damage to the processor.

Well the Prescotts temperatures are high to start with, mine got to 64 degrees at full load when I first had it, but I've managed to get it to 3.3 Ghz from 3.0 Ghz with no major changes to the temperature. It's actually gone down since I got it, may be due to the thermal paste settling. I'd still be careful though.

54 is at full load, right now i'm idling at 37. i hvae 6 case fans as well, so do you guys think i'm good to go?

this is my first time ocing, so i'm not too ambitious. hopefully i don't mess anything up and get a faster rig at the same time.

i've read that you need to up the vcore when the comp becomes unstable. what will the comp act like when it's unstable? do i need to keep booting into windows when after i riase the fsb 5mhz? by unstable will windows just keep on crashing?

i have a lot of questions :p

thanks

I overclock in windows, as i can set it to default in normal use, like now.

you can overclock by using the uguru software that comes with your motherboard.

it will just crash when unstable.

if you want to quickly try overclocking you can press on the uguru clock, middle button rght button right button middle button, ands it will put it on turbo, which is abit's preset overclocks.

edit: you can raise the fsb a bit, with out raising the voltages, and it doesnt make a huge amount of difference in temps. I have mine at 2016, from 1836, with it being 1*C hotter, at idle and load.

you oced yours almost 200mhz without rasing the voltages? that's pretty cool, i thought i'd have to raise the voltages like every 20mhz or so.

54c load is good for a prescott. I would just try to keep it under 60c. Bump it up! :D

after i rasie the fsb a bit, do i need to boot into windows or do i just stay in the bios? how can i tell if the comp is still stable if i only stay in the bios?

i'm justa bit nervous about doing it:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom