Installing more than one hard drive question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingeborgdot

Daemon Poster
I would like to install two hard drives. One is a 200gb maxtor and the other a 160gb seagate. What would be the best way to do this? thanks.

Re:

Hello,

You can have two Hard Drives in a PC simply by hooking one up to the Hard Drive Master IDE connector, and the other to the Slave IDE connector. Also, you'll need to either set both Hard Drives to Cable Select (the position of the drive on the IDE cable determines whether it is slave or master)...or set them individually to master or slave depending on where it is connected on the Hard Drive IDE Cable.

Next, it's simply checking BIOS to make sure that it has detected both drives. Then, if they are both new Hard Drive, you'll need to install an Operating System to one of the Hard Drives, on a new partition.

If you are simply adding a Hard Drive to your PC, and you already have a current one with an Operating System installed, then you'll simply need to hook it up to the spare Hard Drive IDE connector (usually slave), making sure that you've set it to Slave or cable select. Make sure that you have enough power from your Power Supply Unit, some spare molex connectors (which I'm sure you do)...and that the Hard Drive IDE cable splits into two connectors so it can accomodate two Hard Drives.

Re:

oh ok...if one is SATA and the other is PATA.........:)rolleyes: waiting for someone else to kick in....)...:D

Re:

...what's PATA...:rolleyes: :freak: :confused:

EDIT: Ah...sorry got it now :D . Takes a while for me' brain to tick...

So now if I have the hard drives installed how do you think I should install the os etc. I want the os on a seperate hd I think. I want to be able to reinstall the os every so often when it starts slowing down a little. I am not sure what most people do on this. What would you do? How would you do all this? Thanks.

ingeborgdot said:
What would you do? How would you do all this? Thanks.

that's a BIG question, with multiple answers.

try this PC builder

see if that helps.

if you need more specific questions, plz feel free to ask.

as for using both SATA and PATA (ide) hard drives, i believe you can use both, however they run off two completely different ribbon cables..

for the IDE drive you have to use the standard wider ribbon cables, where the newer SATA uses a much thinner cable...so you can't use both on the same cable, but you could probably use both on seperate cables..i don't see why not.

that's a good question, i haven't really tried that yet, when i find a more concrete answer, i'll post again.

anyone else who knows that answer plz chime in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom