Improving my PC - CHEAPLY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

knuckle50

In Runtime
Hey,

Here's the specs for my computer:

-Mach Speed X-Caliber PT800DBP Mobo (POS!!)
-Pentium 4 3.0C at stock w/ SP-94 & YS Tech Fan
-Thermaltake 420 Watt Power Supply
-Kingston 512 MB Dual Channel PC3200
-512 MB Kingmax Hardcore PC4000
-GeForceFX 5200 128MB AGP Card | Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS
-WD Caviar SE 160GB HD 7200 RPM/8 MB/ATA-100
-Nec DVD Burner, 32x16x40 CD-RW, 8x4x12x DVD±RW

What do you think my best bet is to get the most improvement out of the least amount of money? I'm looking to spend about 100 bucks.

I have access to an indoor place where people go to dump their old computers, so I can get all the old parts I want. What would yield the most improvement?

I use it mostly for browsing. I often keep 20-30 browser windows open. I run all my RAM at 333 rather than 400 because it's completely stable that way, so I can leave my windows open for weeks at a time. I also play games like simcity 4, but my vid card is adequate for my uses.

So what do you guys think?

I'll certainly upgrade my cooling with old fans from that place, but I'm not sure if my PS can handle it. I remember there was a link to see how much power your system took... youd select all the components... do you know where that is?

I say you need a better video card. If you could get a 6600 GT, then that would help alot. I dont see you finding, nor wanting to find a used 6600 GT. But a eVGA 6600 GT would be great. Of course thats more then 100$, but you cant do much with 100$.

you can sell your previous video card, and get the 6600gt like Codeine said. it will be very useful

he dont need a VIDEOCARD!!!!! And your power supply will be enough for those extra fans(430W linkworld [pos] and it has 7 fans hooked up to it)

Looking at what you use the computer for, I would upgrade to 1gb RAM. I think that would be your best use of money at this point. If you get into more demanding games then a new video card would be the next move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom