Time for a new monitor, any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sui

Daemon Poster
My 15 inch sony trinitron is about to go away. The screen gets kind of wavy, that comes and goes, guessing that this has to do with the way a trinitron is made. Its been doing this for at least a year now, slowly getting worse.

Ohh well, now the problem is I need a monitor and don't have much money. Can't afford a good lcd screen, since I use this comp for gaming it would be a problem. Due to space about the max I could get is 17 inch. Anyone know of any 17 inch monitors that have a good display?

I have the older version of that samsung and it's been really good

I had a 17" Dell Trinitron that did the same things as yours as well, but it was over 10 years old. I have an actual 15" sony one as well and its fine

Most I could spend is 180's, but I'm still job hunting, so spending money shortens my time. I had a good bit of money saved from last job but its dwindling away.

Case is kinda off white. Once I get a job I'll probably get a lian li case anyway, so color doesn't really matter that much.

That Samsung looks pretty nice, but cheapest I can find it shipped is 140(from NJ), 165.15 from newegg because of tax. I'm gonna call a few places that used to have a good selection of monitors to search for that samsung, if I can find it for less then 145(before tax) I'll probably buy it.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductdesc.asp?description=24-116-330&depa=1
I was looking at this monitor last night, I can find it for around 160-165 local(bout 180-185 after CA tax). The specs look very respectable, but I don't have much first hand knowledge about quality of viewsonic(or monitors companys in general). Any thoughs on this one?

Edit: btw its the 1280x1024 at 80Hz that interests me in that monitor, not the uselessly small 1600 res.

That nec is a nice monitor, but too expensive, too big, and too much heat, every hour this comp is on this room heats up around 5 degrees F.

Check out the monitors on www.retrobox.com, if you don't mind used. You can find some sweet deals.

Right now, their 19" inventory stocks NEC, Compaq, and HP, starting at $100 through $134, plus shipping (which is $27.50 if shipped to the lower 48).

EDIT: No CA sales tax.

I purchased a 17"DEll with a trinitron tube,used,2 years ago for 50 bux and its still running strong.STICK WITH TRINITRON they're rhe best.

I'd like to go with another trinitron, but it seems like more of them have problems. I'm kind of affraid of getting a used monitor, I don't have that great of luck. 'All units come with a 3 day money back guarantee and a 30 day depot warranty' thats just a hell of a risk for me. They did have a nice monitor for like 70 dollors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom