Changing CPU and flashing it

Status
Not open for further replies.

miss_kalel

Solid State Member
I'm about to change my cpu 800mhz duron to a 1.8ghz athlon xp 2500+ "barton". I have a MSI mainboard, and their website said that this mobo can support a duron 1.3ghz and XP2600+. Do you think the mobo will be able to handle the new cpu?

after installing it, i know i will need to flash it. How do i do that ? :confused:

How do you know you will need to flash it? Flashing the BIOS is far different than simply resetting the CMOS which is generally all that's needed when putting in a new CPU so that you can start with fresh settings.

Flashing a BIOS only in rare instances like the new 64's that went with the smaller .09u transistor design needed a BIOS flash to be able to run the CPU.

What is the exact model number of your MSI board?

If it says it can only support up to duron 1.3GHz then it would seem you're out of luck because an Athlon XP 2500+ would be way different compared to a duron. A lot faster, different architecture and all.

I doubt a BIOS flash on that board will allow that particular chip to run, but like I said give me your exact board model so I can look up some info on it

flash a cpu????

or do you mean flash your motherboard?

If it can handle an XP2600+ as you have said, it shouldnt have a problem supporting the XP 2500+

but to be sure, post the motherboard name (or code) here so we can check for you!

Ahh yes I only saw 1.3GHz duron so yeah if it says AND XP2600+ it should indeed work, but like Hygor said, for safety sake just post your model number and we'll check it out.

awww thanks guys! this stuff is driving me nuts.
My mobo is a MSI KM2M COMBO SERIES (VIA KM266 CHIPSET BASED)

Thanks again.

I'm an Intel guy heheh but I seem to remember reading somewhere about a motherboard has to be compatible with a barton core CPU.

I'm an Intel guy heheh but I seem to remember reading somewhere about a motherboard has to be compatible with a barton core CPU
No the core has nothing to do with compatibility. It matters on some of the 64's, the winchester core because it uses .09u technology and it requires a BIOS flash for some boards to recognize it but other than that, if it says up to XP 2600+ then they are fine.

yes that is it. so after installing it... what do i have to do to let the comp know that this is a new cpu. ?
You don't do anything.

Clear the CMOS (read the manual to locate the CMOS jumper pins, generally near the battery) move it from pins 1-2 to 2-3 for about 5 mins and it'll clear it, make sure of course your PSU is turned off and preferably unplugged so absolutely no power is going to the board.

Then move it back to pins 1-2

You might have to go into your BIOS and manually set the CPU FSB to 133 because it may default to 100 which would be causing the CPU to perform slower than it should.

The 2500+ XP is a really good overclocking CPU, but you'd need a much better board being that that one only supports 266FSB

Thanks Nubius for all that info. Here is what i'm planning on doing. Please correct me if i'm doing my steps all wrong.
My comp has viruses and spywares... so i'm going to do.
1) reformat the hard drive
2) install my Kingston 256MB PC133 SDRAM 133MHz DIMM CL3 which gives me a total of 512. Do i have to do anything to them in the bios? why do i have a feeling that these memories are low in quality?
3) install the new cpu / new heatsink
4) go to the cmos and reset it , like you said. Does that mean i don't need to flash it?
5) check in the bios to see if i need to change the cpu fsb.

How do I know if it'll work properly? running at it's normal pace?

Thanks for your help... i really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom