HTT and Multiplier question

Status
Not open for further replies.

socom2playa

In Runtime
Hi there, I'm using a chaintech s1689 motherboard 939 socket with a amd 64 3000+ processor, i want to do a bit of overclocking but in the bios it seems as if i cant change the multiplier which is at 9x1800 Mhz and the max HTT it gives me is 232, I just got a liquid cooling system do i would be able to overclock at safe temps. is there anything i can do ?

cpuz.1.JPG

cpuz mem.JPG

Unless you mean your board doesn't have a multiplier option, the 64s can only have the multiplier changed down, they won't go up with the exception of the FX series CPU's those can go up or down.

So in your case the only way to OC the CPU is to raise the HTT beyond 200 which you already have, but keep in mind unless you underclock your RAM, you're also OC'ing the RAM, and looking at the RAM you have you should be able to hit 250MHz+ with that of course loosening the timings and upping the Dimm voltage, but those sticks should be able to OC really well so I'd suggest you keep it 1:1 with the CPU and just keep raising the HTT provided your temps are good which I'd assume they are with that setup.

Just remember to add vcore for CPU stability and Dimm for RAM stability but keeping RAM stable requires loosening the timings, raising the dimm, and sometimes it requires upping the voltage to the chipset since you are pushing it beyond it's normal total HTT 'Bus speed' 800 or 1000 depending on if the HTT link multi is 4x or 5x

Upping chipset voltage and raising the HTT beyond that of the boards specs will increase the heat on the NB which generally requires aftermarket cooling on that as well

EDIT: After now seeing the RAM section of CPU-Z you put up I suggest you go to 2.5 for stability on the ram for the CL.

The Cas latency and Cycle time have more effect on stability than they do bandwidth, infact minor influence on the bandwidth all together that's why you'll see people with 2.5-3-3-11 or something like that on the Cycle time. It's the two middle numbers that have the greatest effect on bandwidth

Thats another problem the only voltage that i can change is the cpu voltage, at the moment i have it set at 1.45v, is this the vcore? and if it isnt theres no other options to change my voltage in the bios.

Nubius said:
Unless you mean your board doesn't have a multiplier option, the 64s can only have the multiplier changed down, they won't go up with the exception of the FX series CPU's those can go up or down.

So in your case the only way to OC the CPU is to raise the HTT beyond 200 which you already have, but keep in mind unless you underclock your RAM, you're also OC'ing the RAM, and looking at the RAM you have you should be able to hit 250MHz+ with that of course loosening the timings and upping the Dimm voltage, but those sticks should be able to OC really well so I'd suggest you keep it 1:1 with the CPU and just keep raising the HTT provided your temps are good which I'd assume they are with that setup.

Just remember to add vcore for CPU stability and Dimm for RAM stability but keeping RAM stable requires loosening the timings, raising the dimm, and sometimes it requires upping the voltage to the chipset since you are pushing it beyond it's normal total HTT 'Bus speed' 800 or 1000 depending on if the HTT link multi is 4x or 5x

Upping chipset voltage and raising the HTT beyond that of the boards specs will increase the heat on the NB which generally requires aftermarket cooling on that as well

EDIT: After now seeing the RAM section of CPU-Z you put up I suggest you go to 2.5 for stability on the ram for the CL.

The Cas latency and Cycle time have more effect on stability than they do bandwidth, infact minor influence on the bandwidth all together that's why you'll see people with 2.5-3-3-11 or something like that on the Cycle time. It's the two middle numbers that have the greatest effect on bandwidth

Yeah where it says Voltage 1.456 in CPU-Z that's your Vcore. That needs to be raised for CPU stability. If you can't up your DIMM voltage you're kind of out of luck regarding OC'ing the RAM unless the board automatically raised it or something.

Chaintech isn't the greatest manufacturer. I have a graphics card of theirs and it's 'ehh' at best.

ABit and DFI are the top two manufacturers when it comes to overclocking although I know you don't particularly want to get another board, but I'm just saying if you wanted to OC then you should have thought about that way in the beginning before buying the board.

It's all good though because I did the same way back before I knew anything. Got a board that I thought was good, then looked at overclocking and found out I couldn't =/

In the future though keep ABit and DFI in mind

Doubt it. BIOS updates dont unlock new features or anything like that. Most of the time it's simply for stability sake. If a board doesn't have the options stock more than likely it won't with a BIOS update, but it's not like I know every BIOS in the world, so it couldn't hurt to search :)

cant you raise the multiplier with the "pencil trick" or something, thats what i heard not sure though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom