Hard Drive Mechanism

Status
Not open for further replies.

asdco

Baseband Member
Atlas IV SCSI Drive;pc board is removed and the 4 motor drive pins are accesible.My question is,are the 4 pins oriented the same as the external power plug?(+5-COM-COM-+12)If so,can I test the motor by applying +12-COM?

The drive quit running so I decided it was time to see exactly how it runs :) theres no color coding on the pins on the bottom of the motor,thats why I need to know if the voltages are oriented from left to right as the external power lead.

if the HD wasnt damaged in any way, and its not 50 yrs old or something, id doubt that it would be the motor thats the bad part. theres prolly a bad circute on the bourd.

asdco said:
The drive quit running so I decided it was time to see exactly how it runs :) theres no color coding on the pins on the bottom of the motor,thats why I need to know if the voltages are oriented from left to right as the external power lead.

Connect the molex power connector to see which one is which, from left to right, all i know is that red is 12v, yellow is 5v.

When the molex is plugged in right side up it's

1. Red
2. Black
3. Black
4. Yellow

if it's upside down then obviously it'd be opposite of that going left to right.

Maybe its salvageable?Heres what happened;I purchased it as used and it was shipped to me.I hooked it and every time I tried to boot it would shut my pc down(even after shutting off power management).Thinking something got damaged in shipment,I gently tapped on the sides of the case and Voila,it spun up!I loaded windows on it then went to bed.Next day,the damn drive shuts the pc down again!This time when I boot, the pc starts but no scsi drive recognition.Both green and yellow LED's stay lit on the drive.Was it a coincedense that it started after a tap?I,ve had the top off and the the disc spins freely and the arm goes to start position when power is applied to it.

oh my, by having your top off and having it in a non-clean room, you ruined your hard drive most likely

well,I took the time to make a plastic box and was lucky enough to find some lab gloves which I attached to holes cut in the side.So far no dust.
I see you use open source,linux?I've been leaning that way myself but havent switched yet heheh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom