Help me please Presario/ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

halcar

Beta member
I have a Compaq Presario 1400 laptop with Microsoft ME. I let my niece use it for her school work and she gave it back to me locked up tight. When you turn it on the wall paper comes on and there are no tool bars or icons. I thought it was hidden icon feature in the active Desktop. When I tried to turn it off I couldn't even get a message screen. I have right clicked and nothing left clicked and nothing hit the windows key on the keyboard and nothing. Any Ideas??

Thanks in advance
Tim

Ok how do I do a reinstall. I would like to save some files but if I have to go to another system I will.

Tim

The only two ways I can think of getting files off of the laptop without using the GUI (since your Windows ME is practically useless) would to be to go thru an MS-DOS prompt or get a Knoppix Live-Eval CD (at http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html)

To reinstall, fix your BIOS so that the CD drive is the first boot device. Usually, hitting F1,F2, or Delete at startup will get you into BIOS. Find the Boot order or Advanced Setup option, and then change the First Boot Device to CD drive. The Windows installer will start, and from there, you can just follow the on-screen directions.

Ok tried F1,F2 and Delete. Nothing Hit F8 and it gets me into The Windows Startup menu. Tried Safe Mode and nothing . Tried the step by step start up and still nothing. So Does anybody know how to get into the BIOS on a Presario 1400?

Please, I mean PLEASE upgrade to Windows 2000 or XP, or even Windows 98SE. Windows ME isn't even worthy to be called an OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom