Lost some Admin privileges in win2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjnorman

Beta member
At some point after doing maintenance on my win2k system IÂ’ve lost a portion of my administrator privileges. Specifically I cannot do anything with hardware changes. When I try to get into the Device Manager I get a message like:

“You do not have sufficient security privileges to uninstall devices or to change device properties…etc”

I seem to have other Administrator privileges but cannot change or add hardware.
Short of doing a clean re-install, how can I get this essential privilege back?

Rob

Lostman,

Yes I was logged in as Administrator. I tried creating a new user with administrator privileges which the system lets me do, but to no avail -- that is, I can create a new administrator and log in as that user but still have the problem of not being able to do hardware changes.

Any suggestions?

Rob

When you go to Control Pannel and click on "Users & Passwords", what group does your account call in?

Lostman,

I'm in the group "Administrators" -- I think that's what I've been saying. I have a several user names all with Administrator group membership and none of them can make hardware changes, or, I just noticed, change the system clock.

As "Administrator" I can change anyone's password -- the system lets me. I can access files anywhere. I can install programs. I just can't do hardware stuff...

I'd like to understand and fix this, but can always just re-install...

Rob

----------
After looking around a bit on the web, I gather that the problem is in security priviliges. I'll give that a try when I get back on the offending machine.
--------

How 'bout the Local Security Policy? Thats the only thing left that i can think you may be shortchanged. Its at least worth a try.

Hi Josh,

I'm sure your right -- it's got to be a policy issue. I'm exploring that now . I'm having problems finding the appropriate policy but when I find it -- or perhaps someone will give a clue -- I'll the results, because there are a lot of posts out there about lost priviliges.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom