Won't Start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re:

Hello,

You will want to set your 80GB HDD as master, and slave your old drive if you want to salvage your files from it, making sure that the jumpers are set to slave. Or you could set both drives on cable select, and hook them into the appropriate IDE connector.

Make sure that both your new and old drives are detected in BIOS, and then Windows should recognise the slaved drive, and appear in My Computer.

If you want the 80gig master (which makes sense to me from what you are describing), keep it switched on master via the jumpers on the back. Make sure the other one is set ot slave.

Before you begin to look for it in windows, check the BIOS to see if it is recognized.

POST option
--------
When the computer boots up, it will display some information about the computer. If when you boot up, you see a spash screen logo (perhaps of the MB manufacturer) then hit TAB to view what is actually happening with the computer. Here it should say something like:

Primary IDE CH1: blah blah THIS IS YOUR 80GIG blah
Secondary IDE CH1: THIS IS THE ONE NOT BEING RECOGNIZED IN WINDOWS
Primary IDE CH2: And cd/dvd drives you have
Secondary IDE CH2: And cd/dvd drives you have

If you only have the 80gig recognized, and your CD drives. Then they are probable not plugged in correctly to the IDE cable, or they are not recieving power.
------

If the text from "POST option" does not reveal a result, or you are unable to get to the screen I am describing, try this step:

When the computer boots up. You need to enter a key to get into the CMOS settings, or Bios, it could be labeled a couple things. To do this, it could be DEL, F2, or a couple of other keys. Since you recently bought the motherboard, use the manual that you haven't thrown away... to find out what key gets you into the BIOS.

After you are in, the General, or Main section will display a list of drives, this will look the same as I posted in the POST option with the IDE PRIM/SEC Channels. Here you need to see if both the 80gig and the other HD are recognized. If not, like above, they may not be properly conencted.

Post your results to this before I add more advice.

OK I made BIG mistake because I took both drives out of their bays to switch the jumpers and cables but I wasn't sure if I did it right so I put the old samsung hard drive on top of the brand new 80 GB drive at the bottom of the case. When I turned the computer on then weren't loading the something starting smoking so I shut off the computer. The 80 GB hard drive only had a burn mark on the top and it still worked but the old drive that has everything still on it seemed dead. When I looked at the bottom of the old hard drive I think a little chip melted a little I think the chip was on the IDE controller. The IDE controller can be unscrewed from the bottom of the hard drive. Do you think a I can get a IDE controller for samsung sv6003h hard drive?

Please help,
Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom