Video card question

Status
Not open for further replies.

elpea117

Baseband Member
What makes a video card good, if i planned on building a gaming pc whats some thing i would want my video card to have? All responds are highly appreciated.

Well i dont want to spend anymore than i need to, i want to be able to game and game good, half life 2, doom 3 ect....

Well their is alot more to what makes a video card good, besides more memory. More memory is great, but memory of course is just space for data. Sometimes your not really using all that memory, so its not making that much of a speed increase.
Your really going to want 256MB and 256Bit videocards.
But most important, you want the memory to be GDDR3, this is the best. Now the 9800 pro, is a 256bit video card, but dont have GDDR3. The 6600 GT is not 256bit, but has GDDR3. That has alot to do with why the 6600 is better.

When your looking at a video card, this is what you will see.

Chipset/Core Speed : around 350mhz, anything 400+ is great
Pixel Pipeline depends: if its PCI Express/AGP ect
Memory/Effective Speed: 900mhz+ anything over 1ghz is ideal

Now i just cant throw a number at you and say, this its average. Because it all depends on the type of card. Rather its PCI, or AGP. Or its a 64 Bit video card or a 256bit video card, ect. But in general, the speeds i listed are pretty good to follow.

You're looking at spending more than $200 for a good video card. Midrange, get a 6600GT which is really nice and around the $200 price range. The higher end 6800's or the 6800GT are much higher priced. I've got mine running at 540/1.2 and is very stable and runs cooler. I tried OC to higher settings, but NFSU2 freezes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom