need help with a strange problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like i might just have to install everything on that drive. I dont want to, any one have any ideas that could save me from a day of installing?

try what was mentioned above if u havnt already... on both the EIDE and SATA drives, go to the /control pannel/folder options/ view/disable hiding system files.

then go to c:/boot.ini open in notepad, and change the OS to the sata disk # and partition #.
-----------------------------------

LS120 is likea zip drive, except the disks for it only have 120mb's of storage.

jolancer, i am not quite clear on what i have to do.

I found the boot.ini backup file, i opened it up in note pad, this is what i find:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

That is the ide drive. This is the sata drive:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

What do I need to change?

Looking at what both of those boot.ini files say, they are exactly the same, which would make sence, since the J drive is cloned from the C drive. Could the computer be trying to boot off of both drives, but default to the ide drive?

Well I tried different arangements for my hard drives. I can only get the pc to boot off of the sata drive when it is the only drive connected. It wont boot at all with both sata drives, or both sata drive and the storage ide. With all four drives it boots off of the ide system drive.

I dont know what to do. I guess I just might have to install everything on the sata drive and se if that works. That might not even work.

One last time asking for any suggestions.

Maybe i'll find a mobo with sata on it, then i wont have to worry about this.

Listen, you need to get your bios to look for : (quote)

"PCI/ADD-IN Cards" first, somewhere in your bios you can make that work, and that basically is to make it look for SCSI drives, but it solved my problem with the SATA. It had 'PCI/ADD-IN Cards' after 'IDE Connected Drives', so it never reached the SATA.

I feel stupid, the reason it wasnt working was because the new sata was on the second sata slot, upon switching it to the first, everything worked.

Thanks to all those who helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom