System crashes (win xp) if mouse wheel or 3rd button touched

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristine

Beta member
I just finished a clean install of Windows XP Pro over 98. Everything is fine except for the mouse.

I downloaded new mouse drivers (Logitech MouseMan Wheel M-CW47) from the Logitech website. The right and left click are the only buttons that work. If I touch the 3rd button or the wheel the system instantly crashes and restarts.

Device manager says there is an IRQ12 conflict, but only shows one mouse. I'm reluctant to disable it or reinstall for fear of being left totally mouseless.

I've been searching all day on microsoft.support, Logitech, and windows help and support to no avail.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Try uninstalling the mouse again, make sure you have all windows updates and let windows install the mouse for you again.

For the logitech mouses, i find it best to use the drivers that come with windows. I hate the logitech drivers :/

Also you can sort out your IRQ priorioty's in BIOS

It's painful for this old dog to learn new tricks but your suggestions helped me get my mouse back. Thanks!

The scroll wheel works and more importantly, doesn't crash the system anymore. The 3rd button (thumb) still doesn't work, but I'm going to take my winnings for now...unless anyone has any ideas.

Yes, getting rid of the Logitech sofware and allowing the ms signing to take over worked.

The BIOS was fine as is...once I figured out how to get in there. Almost burned up my F2 key before I realized that the magic key *this* machine wants is DELETE. Go figure. It's an older Dell Dimension XPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom