Problem installing XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeopLes

Solid State Member
I have tried to load windows xp onto one of my computers but for some reason the cd wont boot up, i went into the BIOS and set it to boot from cd and it still wouldn't boot. There is nothing wrong with the cd, i have installed xp onto other computers of mine with this cd. This computer is older but i know it has had xp on it before, there is nothing wrong with the cd rom drive my red hat linux cd boots up. could someone help me :D

Are you saying you can boot up from a linux CD? Just can't boot from the XP CD? Kinda sounds to me like the CD Rom is old and does not support booting from it.

More info please

OK, you've ruled out in being the CR-Rom, you also say the XP CD will boot in another PC so that rules out the CD itself. You can boot from the linux CD so that rules out BIOS settings.

Hmmmm, Have you tried to read from the CD-Rom once booted into an OS? Not saying either one of the CD-Roms are bad, but could be jumper settings and need to be set for master/slave. Is the CD-Rom listed as a drive letter?

Is your IDE cable connected to the CD-Rom in the middle or end of the cable? For slave to work you need the connector in the middle of the ribbon cable.

But remember, if its connected at the end you can keep it there and change the jumper on the CD-Rom for master.

ok i will try not to screw this advice up, try this fix:

use only one memory module in the first memory bank. it should be non-ECC and at least 128MB is required to install winxp or more if your video card uses some of the main memory for itself.

winxp/ win2k sometimes doesn't recognize memory in the second and third memory banks.

i stole all that info from microbell ;)

ekÆsine said:
ok i will try not to screw this advice up, try this fix:

use only one memory module in the first memory bank. it should be non-ECC and at least 128MB is required to install winxp or more if your video card uses some of the main memory for itself.

winxp/ win2k sometimes doesn't recognize memory in the second and third memory banks.

i stole all that info from microbell ;)

WHAT!!!???

The problem has nothing to do with memory, the CD is not booting from the CD ROM he don't even get to the point to install. YES, 2000/XP will recognize memory in more then one module.

Can't you just boot off of a Win Floppy? Some boards need the floppy to install generic CDROM drivers to execute the task. I could never get my system to boot off of the XP CD either. Can boot off of the LInux CD just fine though.

Again, just try the floppys.

Lostman said:
Can't you just boot off of a Win Floppy? Some boards need the floppy to install generic CDROM drivers to execute the task. I could never get my system to boot off of the XP CD either. Can boot off of the LInux CD just fine though.

Again, just try the floppys.

Good point, forgot about the floppies but then again I would forget my head if it was not attached to me, LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom