Won't Start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do what you've been doing previously. Just try the CPU in your other system if it works then it's the mobo

We decided that we would replace the CPU and the motherboard so went to a nice computer store nearby and got a new asrock motherboard and an AMD sempron and some new RAM. We also got a new 80 GB hard drive but all our files are on the old hard drive like windows XP is there any why we can hook up the hard drives and still keep windows because we lost the windows XP cd that came with old computer.

Thanks,
Robert

Lost the windows XP cd, hrm. As long as you have your CD key for it you should be ok. I hope ya have your CD key. If not, their are some ways that are legal to get back missing or lost copy's from microsoft.

You are also very smart for your age, and remind yourself of what i would have been doing to computers a few years ago. If you still have your CD key, and cannot get get another CD key, i can help ya.

We still a sticker on the back of the case that has the Windows XP CD key so if I format the hard drive because of a new motherboard we are good? My dad wants to know how would he be able to use that key?

But where would we put the key into if windows is erased from the hard drive (correct me if im wrong)?

Thanks,
Robert

Me and my dad installed everything and it works great:D:D. But when we put it together we put the new 80 gb hard drive as master and the old drive that had windows and everything else as slave. It works fine we didn't need reinstall windows or even need to use the cd key:cool:. But when we look for the new hard drive in my computer we cant find it. Do we need to make old drive that has windows on it master and the new drive a slave? If so do just have to just switch the jumpers?

Thanks a million,
Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom