new mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re:

Hello,

It is very basic. But make sure that it will fit in the PC Case- ensure everything conforms to a form factor. Also, ensure that all hardware components will work happily on your motherboard, and with each other. From there, yes, it's simply plug everything up! :D .

Nope, not hard at all... presuming the case uses regular screws for the board, unlike some you buy at the store (HP!)...

Just be sure to have the proper connections for your older drives/pci cards etc, because as I noted when looking at boards, a lot of the newer ones only have IDE via raid, or not at all [just SATA], which didn't work for me...

but anyway, yep...should be smooth...!

u shouldnt. aslong as ur not reformatting, but if ur gona change the cpu and the mobo id reccomend reformatting so u will need to reinstall the drivers

no you dont need to reinstall the drivers, as long as you take it out during the installilation of the new os. after you install the os just put the cards in.

its a peice of a cake i just put my new motherboard on last week workin like a baby =-) i thouiht it was hard ad nthat i might fry all my shit butj then i did it and it was easy 3,2 ghz p4 ht prossesor x800 pro vid card 1 gb of ram 200gb of harddrive maxtor tt v5000a case =)

You dont give much info but,if you have an older power supply you may have to change it to a 20 pin and if youre changing from intel to amd you have to have a power supply that supports AMD.(extra connector).Some tips;DO NOT touch the components with your fingers,ground yourself(I use a copper wire around my wrist to a grounded pipe),DO NOT overtighten screws and if you drop 1 inside the box pick it up immediately,use demagnetized tools,use silver arctic paste on the CPU but read the instructions carefully,if its not put on correctly you can ruin the CPU,DO NOT install anything on the new board except the power supply connector,now power it up,you should here all kinds on beeping going on and this is what you want to hear.ITs telling you that it cant find anything BUT its also telling you that the motherboard is ok.no beeps=bad mobo.Now unplug it,install all your goodies and reboot.XP will find most of the drivers for you then you can upgrade them after your up and running.You probably have an atx board so make sure the new board doesnt say mini atx or full.If its an intel CPU,the fan can be a real BEAR getting on dont force it just be patient or you'll damage the board.

a lot of the newer ones only have IDE via raid, or not at all [just SATA], which didn't work for me...
What? Boards come with IDE standard and most of the newer ones have SATA. I haven't seen a board where it's just SATA available and surely not IDE with only RAID options.

When changing out the motherboard you MUST reformat contrary to some of the posts here. WinXP likes to have a fit when switching out major hardware components. Your new motherboard will require different drivers and a reformat is necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom