Help with Barebones PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky76

Beta member
I just got a barebones PC and would appreciate some help getting it to work with my hard drive and operating system configuration.

I put my old hard drives, dvd drives, video card, etc. in the new case. I'm running XP Pro, and when I start up the new computer with my old hard drive in it, I get a page saying Windows did not start normally and asking if I want to start in Safe Mode or use the Last Known Good Configuration. No matter which option I pick, I just get the same message over and over.

Is there anything I can do to get this to work? I know reinstalling Windows will probably do it, but that means having to reinstall most of my other software as well, which I'd prefer not to do.

Thanks

Yes, I got a new motherboard, P4 processor, case, power supply and memory.

I've installed my 2 hard drives, 2 dvd drives, video card, WINPVR TV card and modem.

A few things that were on the old PC didn't get put on the new one: a PCI USB 2.0 expansion card, my Soundblaster Live sound card, an ethernet card, and a Promise controller card.

So you are using a new mobo with new drivers plus your drivers from your old mobo. I would recommend doing a clean install of xp from proper stablility. You have drivers that are mixed, that might conflict with one another, etc. Unless someone else has another suggestion...

aye sparky
warez is right, cuz once you have a new mobo, all ur old drivers aren't updated
so you have to install it from scratch

You can get by if you are lucky, I did it with my g/f's pc, but afte a while it started acting up. But I would suggest a clean install myself.

I've gone into the install screen for XP using the CD, then done a "repair." It didn't really work the first time (windows started but that's about it - I couldn't run any of the programs I tried) so I'm trying it again. If that doesn't work, I'll just reinstall XP.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom