DVD/CD-RW won't work properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeRuler99

purveyor of fine cheeses
On my laptop I have a DVD CDRW combo drive (ie. I can watch DVDs and burn CDs). However the past three times I have tried to burn a music CD the buffer rate goes all the way down, then fixes itself, but shortly after completely fails and the burning process stops at 30%.

Variables:
>I have not changed the type of CD I use when burning since I have had the laptop.
>I have always used Nero burning software.
>I have installed new RAM recently.

Basically, I am wondering if there is anything I can do to fix this error. If it is the RAM that caused this (I'm pretty sure the errors started shortly after new RAM) will taking it out fix it? Should I try a new burning suite? If the problem is not fixable the laptop is still covered under a 12 month HP warranty and 3 year extended warranty so I can get it replaced or fixed but I would rather that be the last resort. Any help would be great, I don't know anything about hardware issues, etc.

"(I'm pretty sure the errors started shortly after new RAM)"

well you found ur problem
try this
change back to the old ones, and try to burn, see if it works
if it works, ur new ram are not very compatiable

are the new rams same brand and PCXXXX as the old one?

Re:

Hello,

Funny thing...on my Compaq PC, I have an HP DVD Writer 300c drive, which is a DVD-RW and CD-RW Combi.

A while ago, I experienced the same issue. One day, I tried burning ordinary CD-Rs. I tried about 15 times, and yet I kept experiencing erratic burning, where it would write at full speed, and then decide to spin down and halt completely. All of the burn processes continually failed.

I think your drive is beginning to die. If you can still watch DVDs, read CD-Rs and CD-RWs, but can't burn CD-Rs or CD-RWs with success, then your CD Burner laser is probably failing on you. I bought a Samsung CD-RW drive to replace the CD Burner, but still use my old optical drive to watch movies.

Thanks guys

Thanks for the support. I'll try switching RAM before seeing about replacing the drive. What would I do without the friendly people at Tech Forums?

I just tried burning data to a CD-RW to see if the drive actually is broken and it worked. The WinXP built in burning function was able to burn 100mb of data, and then 495mb of data onto a CD-RW. Then I used Windows Media Player to burn one of my ripped CDs onto a blank CD-RW and that too worked. This surely must mean that it is an issue with Nero? Or maybe some CD goblins came into my house at night and did something to my blank CDs so they won't work? This is really starting to puzzle me.

Okaaaay... random. I just tried burning a CDRW with Nero and that WORKED! What the heck is going on?!?!

Since I got my laptop I have used the same CDRs. However today, I used a different brand CDRW. However, if it is the CDs that are the cause why would they chose to not work after 6 months. It must be the CD goblins I tell ya. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom