need help with a strange problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

AND_YOU_ARE

Fully Optimized
This problem is half software, half hardware, here it goes:

I have norton ghost, and wanted to use it to clone my primary partition and place it on a new hard drive. So I dont have to go through all the hassless of installing the os and programs on my new h ard drive. So I ran ghost, it took two hours to copy the partition on the new drive.

The problems begin with the fact that I cant boot off the new drive with other hard drives attached. The new drive is a sata drive. I can boot into windows perfectly when its the only drive attached. But when I attach the other drives, both ide and sata, it wont boot from the sata drive.

(I have four drives, two sata, two ide. The former primary drive was ide with one sata and one ide as storage.)

I hook up three drives, two sata, and the storage ide, disconnecting the primary ide, so it doesnt boot off of that. I cant boot into windows with that configuration. I cant boot into windows with any ide drive connected, except the old primary hard drive.

When I have all four drive attached, the pc boots off of the primary ide drive, not the sata.

I dont know what to do to fix this situation. I would like to have the computer boot always from the new sata hard drive, and then be able to sipe the old ide boot drive and use it for storage. I cant seem to do it though.

Thanks for any help.

in /control panel/administartive tools/comp manager/disk manager... make shur the new OS partition on the Sata drive is Marked as Active... if its not u can rightclick the partition and you will beable to select (Mark partition as Active). if its already active this option will be grayed out.

(note- a partition only needs to be marked active if its a boot device.. dont mark data storage drives as active)

and make shur the new Sata drive is firt in your boot order in bios.

So if I do that, then I wont have to worry about it trying to boot off of the ide drive when both are connected?

Do I also have to make changes in the bios?

I just booted up my pc with all four hard drive attached. I looked under computer management > disk management and the new sata drive is enabeled as active. but it is still not the drive that was booted to load windows. The ide drive that I have windows on has system in quotes in disk management.

In the bios I told the pc to boot off of HD3, because that is which hard drive the sata one is. HD0 being the ide system, HD1 being the ide storage, and HD2 being the sata storage.

So I still have the problem, of how to make the cpmputer boot off of the sata drive.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks.

check the boot order in your BIOS when you have all your drives attached

also, you can check your boot.ini to see which partition and directory is being used as your default Operating System

HD3 would indicate an IDE drive still.

There should be an option under 'First Boot Device' Simply labeled "Serial ATA" thats what you need to choose

I just checked the options that I have for booting off of, these are all that I have:

floppy
ls120
hdd 0 - 3
scsi
cdrom
zip
usb - fdd
usb - zip
usb - cdrom
usb - hdd
lan

There isnt a sata option, could this be due to the fact that I am using a sata card, that its not on the motherboard?

I checked and it still the ide that is being used.

So then I'm assuming your motherboard doesn't even support SATA otherwise you'd be using that huh....

Well hmmm, don't have much experience with the SATA cards really.

Suppose you've tried hdd0 - 3 to see if perhaps the SATA was being seen as a different number than what you had originally though?

If the motherboard has no set option to load from the SATA I don't know how you'd go about setting it as the primarly really =/

im not sure but wasn't there a thread somewhere on tech-forums that said to use the scsi option?
maybe try scsi, if it doesn't work, what's ls120?

The thing is still confusing me is that when the new sata drive is all alone it boot from that drive, but when i add an ide (the storage one with no windows files) the computer doesnt boot off of it.

I cant understand why it happens lie that.

Edit: i'll give scsi a try and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom