FYI automatic power-on system

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekÆsine

Fully Optimized
do you guys remember the guy who asked if he could have his computer turn itself on to download emails and some of us, including me, told him that wake-on-lan and wake-on-ring were the only way to have his computer power on?

well, i just finished building my new computer. the mobo is an asus a7n8x deluxe. the nforce2 board apparently has a "wake-on-alarm" feature that turns on the computer by setting a wake up time. when the cmos clock reaches the set time it powers on the system!

there is a free program from either cnet.com or download.com called "switchoff" that lets you turn off, log off, hibernate, standby modes on your computer at a set time. so it would be possible to do exactly what that guy wanted, whoops we messed up :(

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
if you're wondering my new system specs:

antec soho server tower 1080AMG /w 430W true power

http://www.antec-inc.com/pro_details_enclosure.php?ProdID=91082

enlight 420W PS <-- i don't trust antec PS's!

WD1200 HDD

XP2500B

pixelview Gforce4 FX5600

corsair XMS 512MB PC3200

the machine runs like it's powered by plutonium, but since i replaced the antec PS with the enlight, the case fans sound like a Ronco food dehydrator. i can hear it from across the house!

the antec PS has a special fan only connector that slows the rpm on the fans which would have been nice. since i read that a guy who bought the same case with the included PS that fried everything inside, i'd rather not take that chance.

plus some people at newegg.com are complaining their antec PS's are catching on fire and exploding, not cool!

well depending on the OS that he is running, you check the box that says "assume this user always logged on" so you dont have to put in a username or password, will login automatically, next all you have to do is configure microsoft outlook to start up when the pc starts up...

in outlook change the option to check for mail every minute.

if he wanted forwarding, you can use the rules wizard in outlook to do this for you......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom