Not open for further replies.

qaz

Solid State Member
Hi, im not sure whats wrong with my comp first ehre are some specs

AMD Anthon 600 MHZ processor
Windows XP
GIGABYTE Motherboard
128mb ram

and im not sure what else i would need to give to help...

My problem is my computer randomly just "hangs" for instance if could be just listening to music and WHAM next thing i know my screen is black , my cd-rom wont pop open, nothing response, endtask wont work nothing will. The comp is still on but nothing works, so i reboot and all is fine.....until it happens again.

By random i mean, one time i was on yahoo pool, another playing diablo anoither watching a movie and another playing music. I never know when they will happen, i have reformatted ansd that didnt fix it so i am absolutly sure its hardware but what hardware could it be?

Did this just start recently or something? Because 600MHz and 128mb of RAM is really weak especially for WinXP

For it to be able to run smoothly you'd need to keep that OS super clean, removing all spyware, defragmenting often and not cluttering it up overall.

Qaz, im honestly surprised your even running XP lol. Its nothing to get very alert about. My old compaq with a celeron "800mhz" processor ran 98 with problems. That computer is nothing short of out-dated. Sorry if i sound a little aggressive.

If i was in your shoes, i'd think about getting a new computer. If you want to save money and built one. We can help alot!

I agree with Nubius, 128mb is bare minimum for xp.If you have too many background programs running --- firewall,virus protection,messengers etc. , your comp uses the hard drive for ram after it exhaust your available ram . This usually leads to freeze ups. Personally I think 256mb of ram is required for xp. Also , one time I had my virus scanner scheduled to run auto once a day. When it did my comp would freeze if I had too many programs running.

thanks for your sugestions... im thinking of buying 700 some ram off of ebay...but the processor i wouldnt be able to upgrade for awhile...woiuld just getting mro ram stop this?

well maybe ram can help stop this, but it we're worried about your 600mhz

you should try to build a new one from scratch

they have those barebone for cheap, juss take some of ur old stuff from that computer n plug it in, and get at least 512mb ram.

Unless you have a problem we are not aware of, it should make a big difference. I have a 800 duron setup with win me and tried to run it on 64 megs ram. I wanted to hit it with a baseball bat. I upgraded to 128megs ram and it was like a new comp---I could not believe the difference. I would try ram first and later a cpu upgrade or maybe a barebones kit like XFlamez suggested.

im planing on buying a AMDanthonXP 2600+ 2.1ghz and a 256 and 512mb ram stick for my comp....than i should be good right?

AMD Anthon 600 MHZ processor
Windows XP
GIGABYTE Motherboard
128mb ram

I don't know if you are running XP Pro or Home, these are the requirements for Both:
128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)
1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*

Then you add these requirements for SP2:
64 megabytes (MB) of RAM
1.8 GB of available hard disk space during installation

And that doesn't include ANY other program you are running. What antivirus do you have on your computer? What firewall? Liz

i dont have SP2 cuz my windows is pirated

but i got XP Pro
McaFee virusscanner+firewall 2004

anything els eyou need to know????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom