Raid 0 performance increase, yeah but by how much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamer444

Baseband Member
Does anyone know a numerical value to describe the increase in performance for a raid 0 configuration compared to a single drive? I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 80GB HD and IÂ’m thinking of buying another one to use in Raid 0. IÂ’m looking for things like access time and data transfer speed.

Also, with raid 0 do u have to use two exactly the same drives, or is two drives with the same size and make (and both sata) ok?

There's no exact data transfer speed that you can expect, it varies from case to case and depends on a number of factors. I assume you could calculate some sort of average, but I don't know.

Theoritically you should be able to obtain twice the access speed and data transfer, although this always isn't the case. I will however say that your overall performance will increase with a RAID 0, but it's impossible to say how much.

I would also assume that yes, you have to use two drives that are exactly the same, as they basically have to mirror one another.

i dont think it matter if u have 2 completely different drives, but i do know that if u had say a 80 and a 120 in raid0 u would only totaly 160 cos the extra 40 on teh 120 would be wasted. i have 2 of the 120 version of that drive and i can get through a windows install in about 7 or 8 mins if thats any kinda of speed comparision for u? :)

The seagate drive that i have has model number ST380013AS and the seagate HD where i want to buy the other has same speed and size, but the model nuimber is ST380817AS do you think this will matter?

I would also assume that yes, you have to use two drives that are exactly the same, as they basically have to mirror one another.

In Raid 0 files are split between the disks to make reading/writing faster, not mirrored such as in Raid 1.

erm i dont think it will matter tbh but i cant be sure cos both my drives are identical :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom