nForce4-4x vs other MoBos

Status
Not open for further replies.

diabloII

Fully Optimized
if you don't already know, nForce4-4x is the chipset they use for mobos where the hypertransport link speed (something to do with your FSB i think) is 4x (800mhz)

the regular nForce4s use 5x, or 1000mhz

the cpu i'm going to use is a amd 64 3200+ winchester sock939 with the bus speed at 1000MHz

so i was wondering, would this decrease the performance of my mobo significantly? (the 800 can be pushed up to 1000 if i wanted to, but then it might void the warranty so i wouldn't want to try that unless i have to)

here is the review of the mobo i'm considering to use for a friend's computer

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=gbnf44x&page=1

well it's somewhat like having a 333FSB vs a 400FSB, of course 400FSB would be better.

And for 64's it's all purely referred to as HTT, FSB is an obsolete term now :)

Doubt it'd decrease it 'significantly' but like I said it's like 333fsb vs 400fsb, that little bit always counts.

Keep in mind if you do OC the HTT past 800 then your chipset will get hotter than normal and sometimes extra NB cooling is needed.

EDIT: Note thought that that article said they threw it up to 5x for 1000MHz HTT and had no probs whatsoever so you'd probably be fine

Double Edit: Wow, after reading that article I'm surprised how well that board did. Seems like a worthy buy although I've never been a fan of gigabyte myself, maybe this will be the one to make me look twice at what they got :)

i was looking at it before i decided on my msi cos it is so much cheaper, its cos it uses the standard nforce4 chip rather than the ultra or sli version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom