New Computer Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

frayli

Solid State Member
I just bought the parts and built the following computer:

p4 3.0 HT socket 775
gigabyte 8I915p duo mobo
2 sticks of 256mb kingmaxx ram (yeah i know i know i should of got 2 512's)
nvidia 6600 PCI-X
120gb SATA
generic case
s/c keybouard mouse etc...

It all slotted together fine except for when i was putting on the heatsink it slightly twisted on the cpu and twisted the heat paste (how big an issue is this, there is more to follow)

Now the computer is fast but it isnt that fast it still lags in some parts of WOW and programs arnt super quick. the main problem is just recently ive always had the temperature alarm on 60celcius and just an hour ago its been hovering around 59-62 and beeping etc so ive had to quit WOW and then it returns to normal until i dod soemthing strenuous burn a dvd etc.. can anyone give me advice also i dont have any case fans could this be the issue? should itry and replace the heat paste? its not being overclocked its all original. thanks for any help

PS on another note should i sell both ram and gpu and get a 6600gt and a gb set of ram since i want it to run dual channel.

hmm.. it could be a combination of ur ram and the lack of cooling...a 6600gT would have been a better idea than a 6600

Yeah i know im cut about that decision they had all sold out of gt's and i wanted to use my comp straight away one of those decisions that haunt you forever

ya it was kinda like me when i built mine.... when my friend went to the back of the shop to get my board, they had sold them all that day grrr.. but then he sees one thats meant to go back on warranty coz the LAN was broken, n i had the choice to take that + a gigabit lan card or wait a few weeks.. so i just took the broken one + a free gigabit card lol.... it hasnt really haunted me but if i was to sell it, there would be a bit of a hitch

well im not sure how fast my comp should go but it doesnt have that bad specs and it just doesnt seem that fast. Does anyone know the cheapest place to buy stuff in AUSTRALIA? VIC pref. any more help with my issue as well is 60c/140f an unsafe temperature?

it should be running very fast
a) its a new comp
b) those specs should be lightning

ive got a 3.2 with HT n it blitzes, and urs has ht n so multitaskin shouldnt be an issue
ur ram isnt the BEST but hey 512 should be kicking. the card should be fine for ne game around... Im not sure, i think uve mucked something up along the way... did u build it urself ???

its prolly the heat causing it to be so slow, buy case fans, or rather, take the side off ur case and set up a big fan near it for the time being then get the fans, what kind of HSF u got ?

Ok everything is better now my friend who helped me build my comp had increased the voltage on the ram gpu and cpu so now it should act a bit better

nahh stay away from the stock intel one... i used it when i first got mine, was gettin temps of bout 50 IDLE and bout 60 in games and my comp kept locking up in games coz of the temp... i replaced it with a zalman copper one.. idles of bout 38 and no more lockig up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom