754 <> 939?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Socket 754 is nowhere near outdated, but I would say go with Socket 939. You will really feel the advantage of dual-channel RAM in games like Half Life 2. Plus, 939 has a future and 754 does not.

for doing music, movies, dvd, internet, some gaming, a 754 3200+, or 3400+ would do you fine. Couple it with 512, or 1gb Ram in dual channel and a 6600gt and it would be a screamer. A friend of mine has a 3000+, 1gb Ram, 6800gt and it runs fast even though its a 754.

Yeah I'm thinking of upgrading to 939 soon. My 754 is excellent but its crap at overclocking and it has no special features like the 939.

But I will up my money first as I want a decent motherboard and a new PCI-E graphics card as well.

At the moment though theres no point upgrading as my setup plays every game on max details with no lag at all so it would just be a waste of money.

Nubius said:
Put your RAM in a dual channel setup and run a benchmark test. It will be nowhere near 6.4gb/sec

DC provides anywhere from 5-20% increase in performance, not straight up doubled.

I know the motherboards that support it say that it 'Provides 50% increase in bandwidth up to 6.4gb/sec!' but the key word is 'up to' and its really not a huge difference like some believe.
[/QUOTE

In dual channel with stock ram i get 5.6 gig \ second.

you cant have dual channel with a 754 though .

Really, i didnt know that, sorry, i should have done my homework. Well i guess thats another reason to go to 939, but 754 is still quite fast, but no extra features.

In dual channel with stock ram i get 5.6 gig \ second.
Then you can't possibly have PC3200 which when they talk about the 6.4gb/sec they are talking about PC3200x2 in terms of speed.

EDIT: The 754's are decent OC'ers you just gotta get something like the 3400+ 64 mobile

dual channel tries to use both RAM disks evenly with their own individual bus, so they would theoretically give double the transfer speed
but like said before it usually doesn't, it's more like 150%
this is the same with SLI. SLI means 2 video cards processing the same screen, which would theoretically double the performance, but in reality is more like 150% as good

when you see a "400MHZ" DDR RAM disk, it is actually 200MHZ, but it transfers 2 times the data per clock cycle as SDRAM, giving performance like if SDRAM were at 400MHZ

RDRAM is similar, but can be "800MHZ" or "1066MHZ" which is actually 200MHZ x 4 or 266 x 4
RDRAM transfers 4 times the data per clock cycle than SDRAM

RDRAM is twice as fast as DDRRAM, but it never really took off. RDRAM was much too expensive for most people, and few motherboards were made to support it (not sure why)

socket 939 is the way to go, like said it has a 1000/2000MHZ HT over socket 754's and socket 940's 800/1600MHZ HTT

socket 754 doesn't support dual channel

socket 940 requires you to use ECC RAM, which is more stable, but slower and more expensive. it is most commonly used in servers (which sorta suits socket 940, since it holds the Opteron server processors)

Couple it with 512, or 1gb Ram in dual channel and a 6600gt and it would be a screamer.

I plan on going with 512, but as for the other...nahhh!

She likes media, not FPS. I plan on putting a graphics card in it, but not a big one. Nvidia, I know, but not a big one. I might go with Windows Media Center, since it fits with what she likes to do, minus the TV tuning.

Now, if it were for me...

I say you give her that computer that's in your sig and rebuild a new one for yourself :D

The kids dont need a more powerful computer than the parents :) muahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom