Presario notebook won't boot after installing DVD drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commodore64

Beta member
Ok I'm having a little problem,
My Presario Notebook w/Win ME won't boot past the red Compaq logo after installing a Toshiba SD-C2502 DVD drive... I can push F10 but it never gets past the initializing mouse. When I reinstall the stock CD rom it boots. I have tried updating the BIOS, deleting the current CD rom then installing the DVD, changing the boot order... Whats weird is that nothing seems to run with the DVD plugged in and it won't even boot from a floppy. If anyone has any ideas on what could be my culprit I sure would appreciate the info. Just wondering but if the DVD was no good would that prevent the whole system from booting???

What model is the presario?

I know, it shouldn't matter, but welcome to Comcrap.

It's a Compaq Presario Notebook 12XL4 (1201T). Its got a 766 Mhz Celeron I believe. Compaq support said I needed to "bring it in to be looked @" They said it could be the motherboard or the connectors, but I find it weird that it has no problems when I reinstall the original drive. Anyway sorry to ramble, anymore information needed I will glady provide.

can you take that drive back to wherever you bought it, or do you have another notebook around that you can test it in.

Have seen this at work before, but not in a notebook, it was also a compac PC, the computer would not boot, would not do anything, I unplugged the cd rom drive, computer worked perfect after that.

Well actually I got it off eBay. The seller said it worked when he took from his laptop a month ago. I think I'm gonna try to take it somewhere and get it checked. Hopefully somewhere cheap, can anyone recomend somewhere near Houston.

well I think the best thing that you can do is just find someone with another notebook, if it works their, well then you know you have a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom