754 <> 939?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
OK, besides the diffence in pins, what is the main difference between the 754's and the 939's? I know that AMD will probably drop the 754's before too much longer, but, for right now, what is the main differences?

The more pins allow for higher frequencies and better data transfer.

939 supports dual channel memory socket 754 doesnt

If you were to go socket 754 I'd suggest a 3400+ 64Mobile as they are some top OC'ers like the XP-Mobiles of their day.

However the 3500+ 64 with 90nm design is also a good OC'er

There are two main differences between 754s and 939s...

- 754 has an HTT multiplier of 4x (800/1600 MHz)
- 939 has an HTT multiplier of 5x (1000/2000 MHz)

- 754 streams RAM in single channel (3.2 GB/s)
- 939 streams RAM in single (3.2 GB/s) or dual channel (6.4 GB/s)

Put your RAM in a dual channel setup and run a benchmark test. It will be nowhere near 6.4gb/sec

DC provides anywhere from 5-20% increase in performance, not straight up doubled.

I know the motherboards that support it say that it 'Provides 50% increase in bandwidth up to 6.4gb/sec!' but the key word is 'up to' and its really not a huge difference like some believe.

Nubius said:
The more pins allow for higher frequencies and better data transfer.

I hate to have to correct a moderator, but that is untrue.

The pin count does not have an effect on bandwidth, etc.

Thanx.

Looking at a possible 754 rig for my daughter. And I always wanted to know.

No OC for her, anyway. Just playing music, some games, word-processing, watching movies.

Nubius said:
Put your RAM in a dual channel setup and run a benchmark test. It will be nowhere near 6.4gb/sec

DC provides anywhere from 5-20% increase in performance, not straight up doubled.

I know the motherboards that support it say that it 'Provides 50% increase in bandwidth up to 6.4gb/sec!' but the key word is 'up to' and its really not a huge difference like some believe.

Well, nothing is ever as fast as it is advertised. ;)

I hate to have to correct a moderator, but that is untrue.

The pin count does not have an effect on bandwidth, etc.
Meh it don't matter. Feel free to correct. But it's not untrue really, perhaps I said it incorrectly but the increase in pins has an effect on ability of data processing

Thanx.

Looking at a possible 754 rig for my daughter. And I always wanted to know.

No OC for her, anyway. Just playing music, some games, word-processing, watching movies.
Yeesh nice dad, even an XP would be more than enough to handle what you're talking about and spending less money but she'll be set for 64bit OS when it comes out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom