Need help with computer specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowgin

Beta member
First, I suppose I should tell you WHAT the computer will be used for. I'm an artist by trade, which means I deal heavily in graphics, Working with a tablet, and programs such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, ect. However I'm also a novice Gamer, and I enjoy games such as The Sims 2 (Once in a blue moon), and heavy graphics RPGs like WoW. This computer must be able to perform all these tasks, with the least possible amount of Lag, and highest possible amount of efficiency.

Also, this will be first custom built computer, and while I know allot about computers, I am new to the technical terms. Thus I am bringing the specs to you fine people for review.

Motherboard-
PC Chips M957G LGA775 VIA PM800 FSB800 DDR400/333

Processor-
Pentium 4

RAM-
1.0GB PC-2700 333MHZ 184 PIN 128x4 16chips Oem Brand

Hard Drive-
HITACHI 160GB SERIAL ATA 7200RPM 8MB BUFFER

Network Adapter-
PCTek 10/100 Base-T PCI Network Adapter

Sound Card-
eVGA GeForce 6800 GT 256MB DDR3/AGP-8X/TV-Out/DVI

TV Tuner card (I know it's not a necessity, But I want one.)-
EURO TTOM878A FM Radio Audio Remote PCI TV Tuner Card

And I plan to use THIS case. So... I THINK if i've read it all right, this will work. But I'm not sure. So.... Will these parts work together, And will they deliver the preformance I want/need?

Thanks in advance...

~Shadowgin

EDIT: I forgot to mention, It will be running Windows XP home edition.

You're crippling and bottlenecking your system by getting PC2700 RAM. That makes no sense to me why you'd do that. You need to get nothing less than PC3200 especially if you want all those things you listed to run as smooth as you'd like.

Under sound card you have a graphics card listed BTW

Saying P4 as the processor isn't really giving any details. List the core, the actual speed, things like that.

I don't like that motherboard, I personally prefer Abit Motherboards, and I think the AG8-3rd Eye would suit your needs quite nicely.

If money is no object, I would suggest investing a lot in the procesoor and picking yourself up an Extreme Edition Intel Pentium 4. The huge 2MB L3 cache will make that image rendering and editing a breeze and will take a huge load off your memory.

If an EE is out of the picture, I would recommend at least a 3.4Ghz Intel, but the higher, the better. It would also be wise to invest in some nice cooling accesories as a Socket T Pentium and a 6800GT will produce a lot of heat.

A network card is unneccessary, practically all new motherboards will come with intergrated 10/100 NIC, so that's not an issue.

Don't skimp out on the RAM, and increase the speed. Get at least DDR400/PC3200, DRR533 or even DRR667 would be superb if you can afford it though. Go with a highly reputable brand and be sure that the latency timings are fairly low.

Your video card is a good choice, but if you want to save a couple of bucks you can get yourself an x800XL that will perform practically the same, but either are fine and it doesn't really matter.

I Agree with Gaara, thats a good mobo he suggested. Over all, make sure your system has a good CPU/Video Card/RAM. Getting PC2700 is a bad idea. That will do nothing but make your system run slower.

I suggest a Intel 3.4ghz LGA775. That processor will do great. For the video card, it really depends on the money your willing to spend. Because the best are the best. Unlike choosing Intel/AMD.

If you cant get top-line video card. Get a 6600 GT. Thats around 225$. But their are alot better cards to get. Such as-

eVGA 6800 GT-405$ or the 6800 Ultra-480$.
Sapphire X800 XT-520$ or the X800 XT Platinum-580/600$

The X800 XT's are at the peak of the top-line cards. But they are damn expensive. These cards arent going to be out-dated for a very long time. And they can be OC, so its a good investment. But its really important you get a good video card for your work. This not only gives you the best kind of graphics. It makes life/work alot more fun, but over all easier. These cards can handle anything, so you'll have your computer working with you. Rather then behind you.

Personally i suggest the eVGA 6800 Ultra or the Sapphire X800 XT.

Thanks for all the help. I'm looking into these suggestions now. I'll post updates an specs when I have them.

UPDATE
Revised Specs

MotherBoard-
ABIT "AG8-3rd Eye" 915P Chipset Motherboard for Intel LGA775 CPU

Processor-
Intel Pentium 4 3.6GHz 800MHz (HT) LGA775 1MB CPU (The EE is a little to pricy)

RAMM-
1GB 550MHz DDR PC4400 DIMM CL 3-4-4-8 Corsair TWINX XMS Performance Series (2 x 512MB)

Graphics Card-
eVGA GeForce 6800 GT 256MB DDR3/AGP-8X/TV-Out/DV

Sound Card-
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Sound Card

Hard Drive-
HITACHI 160GB SERIAL ATA 7200RPM 8MB BUFFER

TV Tuner Card-
EURO TTOM878A FM Radio Audio Remote PCI TV Tuner Card

And Ill be using a DVD/CD/RW. I havnt decided what Modell or Brand yet. And a cheap Slave CD drive. And it will have a Floppy Drive. Hows this system sound? And will it fit in the Tsunami case?

As for cooling, Tsunami has duel fans, But I'm looking into ripping those out in favor of a Water Cooling system.

Re:

Hey,

Those specs look fine...and the case shud b fine too :D.

Although water cooling isn't imperative, it would sure keep your CPU cool...something that is important for your CPU :D .

yup that looks great, u mite wana get a bigger HD though.. i mean 160gig is good, but seeing as u run progs like ps, illustrator n more u mite need a lil more down the line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom