Upgrading Graphics Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triarii

Beta member
Hello,

I am considering upgrading my Video Card to an ATI X300 PCI express card (from an ATI Radeon 9000). I was wondering whether this would be a good step as i haven't found a site yet where i can compare graphics cards to each other. I was also wondering whether i would need a new PSU (as i'm not sure if it'd work on a 300watt PSU, or if i'd need a new Mobo.

My current specs are as so:

AMD XP 1700+
Shuttle Ak32a mainboard
512mb Ram
ATI Radeon 9000 pro
300 Watt PSU (not sure of make)

PS. PCI Express cards use the PCI slots yes?
PPS. I'm on a budget, which is why its a X300 not an X800

pci express is a totally different thing to aGP (what u have)
for pci express cards u need a totally different type of motherboard..

and i dont think upgrading from a 9000 to a x300 is gona do much for u ... u mite wana look at a more midrange card like the 9600pro/xt or something

PCI-E is not the same as a regular PCI slot. Completely different more up-to-date hardware.

You need an AGP card for that board.

Thanks for the quick reply. The 9600 doesn't cost much more that the x300 so i might give that a shot. Thanks :)

actually 1 last question, is there anywhere i can compare an ATI 9600 against an Nvidia FX5500?

as long as its a 9600pro / xt the 5500 doesnt stand much of a chance against it at all

as long as its a 9600pro / xt the 5500 doesnt stand much of a chance against it at all
Yup, I got two friends with the 9600XT, one has the 128mb the other has the 256mb version. Both of em whoop up on my FX 5700 so a 5500 would be destroyed

my 5900xt is equivalent to a 9600XT, so anything in the fx range is not worth your money now. if you can, aim to get a 6600 GT, you will not regret that purchase and it doesn't hurt the wallet like the 6800 GT

Soloman02 said:
my 5900xt is equivalent to a 9600XT, so anything in the fx range is not worth your money now. if you can, aim to get a 6600 GT, you will not regret that purchase and it doesn't hurt the wallet like the 6800 GT

Thanks for the Advice. I'll keep it in mind when i need to buy an entirely new PC (though if i do i'll probably get a PCI-E one) as opposed to the older AGP.

Unless the 6600-6800GT are PCI-E?

u can get 6600gt and 6800gt in pcie and agp.... agp costs a lil more.. but i spose its for theppl that dont wana make the step to pcie yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom