License expirations - CD keys, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chankama

Fully Optimized
Hi. Can someone point me to a good source that talks about how various software packages enforce time based expirations?

e.g. an application package I am using has a license of an year (i.e. I have to get a cd key that is effective for a year). After this period, how does the program know, it's time to expire.

Any good sources on this subject will be much appreciated. THx.

Hey man. I am raising this question mainly b/c of a package called Auto Signal. But, I'd like to know more theory about this in the general case. As in how a typical software package goes about doing this. I am sure there is more than one way. Any good source would be great. Thx.

you should make a system that verifies the product key on the internet (like with Microsoft's activation of XP) that way it is harder to forge a key and use the software

hmm.. But what's going to stop someone from "simulating" the server and telling the program "everything is ok". I would imagine only an encrypted response from the server to the application would work. But in this situation, the private key or symmetric key would still be embedded in the application and thus within the user's computer..

Does that sound right? Or am I missing something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom