Sharing in win2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadGoon

Solid State Member
Hi, Currently ive got three shares on my comp, C$ and ADMIN$. They automaticly come on every time the comp is started and its annoying when I go to lans coz I have to quickly turn them off otherwise ppl on the network have complete access to my HD. Is there a way to turn them off for good?
Also should I worry about the share called IPC$?

According to that they are hidden, but it shows my c:\ as shared when I look at my comp on a friends computer on the network... He doesnt have the problem I do, What if I delete the administrator account and just use mine? (im the only one who uses the pc). Will that stop the shares happening?

You can, in fact, remove those shares.

You must first be logged in as administrator >
Use explorer and right-click on the C drive. (or whatever drive/folder is being shared as C$ and ADMIN$) Go to Sharing and go can remove the C$ share.

When you install Windows 2000 Pro and choose "Typical Network Settings", it will install Client for Microsoft Networks, TCP/IP and File and Print Sharing as a default.
During the installation, you can change this so that it doesn't install File and Print Sharing from the beginning.....when you are asked, Choose "Custom Network Settings/Configuration"

-Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom