new system, now windows error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedness

Beta member
i just setup a new system from the ground up. everything checks out ok and windows goes through the 'loading etc' page, but when it says starting windows....

it goes straight to the 'windows has occured an error and has shut down' page. 'if this is the first time blah blah'...

what happened? everything checks ok as being fine in the bios.

i hadn't installed any software on the system.

- p4 2.8ghz 800mhz fsb
- 512 pc3200 ram
- 256mb pci-x radeon x700
- memorex 52x cdrom
- 120gb ide hard drive

i didn't hook up my 2 front-side USB ports, and i have a small cable i can't identify its location. its like a plug for a fan, but smaller, and 2 pronged instead of 3 pronged. its from the case itself. where could it go?

eh, i have no idea, sorry, u gotta ask one of the more experienced people here

u COULD try going to the website of ur mobo's manufacturer and look for ur specific model and find the newest bios and then google a site that teaches u how to flash ur bios?

http://www.techist.com/computer_articles/bios-flashing-recovery.php

That's basic information on BIOS flashing I wrote a while back.

Find the appropriate BIOS for your board. Find out what flash utility you need based on the maker of your BIOS, (Award, AMI, Phoenix)

Generally your board manufacturer will have a link to a flash utility near the place where you actually downloaded the BIOS.

Read the instructions carefully and have at it.

Be warned though if you screw it up, accidentally power down, have a power failure during the process, or flash with the wrong BIOS you will leave your motherboard completely useless. I even wrote some info regarding BIOS recovery, buuuut since it sounds like you're fairly new to it, I doubt you'd be interesting in hot flashing, so be careful and read up :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom