Idiot needs help with file transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ratrickagogo

Beta member
I need to transfer a few hundred megs of data from a laptop to a desktop computer. Knowing very well that networks/crossover cables/serial connections. CD burning are all faster and more reliable methods, I have chosen to use a USB connector (A to A, 2.0 to 2.0, male to male).
Problem is that neither computer acknowledges that the cable is plugged in and the transfer wizard has no USB option.
Shouldn't this be simple? Isn't this why USBs exist?? Please help,
There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling

im not sure how to network over usb 2.0, i have a firewire ieee 1934 card and in Network connections there is:
Local Area Connection
Local Area Connection 2
1394 Connection

so, if firewire is able to network, there should be a way to make a usb 2 connection. Im just not sure how to do it.

so that menas you need to buy some hubs, adapters and whatnot. Id get some crossover cable, and directly connect 2 computers with network cable.

so if you wanted to connect two computers with an ethernet crossover cable, you would just plug em both in and go to Network Connection Wizard and there would be an option for that?

Re Crossover cables:

The USB option wasn't working so I picked one up. Neither the files and settings transfer wizard nor the network setup has that option - they deal with serial ports. Has anyone used a crossover cable effectively, and HOW?

i have.... we just plugged em in it picked up.. if ur using a hub, u have to plug the crossove into the UPLOAD plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom