How to buy a gaming box!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeff Lawson said:
Perhaps you're a very narrow minded individual, but PC's are very versatile these days, you can play games and create a media ctr, but the media ctr still wants reasonably high specs{not as high as a proper gaming box}.....so the one box does it all, the major difference is the GPU, but being that a 6600GT is acceptable for both gaming and TV capture, why would you settle for less?

i wouldn't go for less than a 6600GT (thats actually the card i plan on getting with my new rig) but i wouldn't go higher than that either (considering th next step up to a 6800GT is a whopping $200). i didnt mean i would get a last generation 9800 card or something, simply if i was a person who burned CD's, edited mp3's, all that multimedia stuff...i wouldn't do it on my gaming computer. i'd build a secondary computer and trade in my server computer.

A 939 at 2600ghz with 1 mb cache, probably the end point of the 939 line.
Source?

I fail to see why you would suggest someone buy a processor that doesn't even exist when you could just as easily suggest an FX-55, which seems to be exactly the same processor as the "4400+".

Yet again, what about dual cores?

And I don't see what you don't understand, Longhorn is an operating system. Operating Systems do not eat up very many resources, regardless of their "06 release date".

Some of us don't have 3 grand to spend on computers, but we do the next best thing. We buy parts that will perform at levels that we require, and we can overclock and tweak said parts to perform at levels equivelent to top of the line parts for hundreds of dollars less.

Jeff Lawson said:
I'm pointing out how superior and versatile a I gig, 6600GT box is compared to buying a 9600, 512 box.
I know, but some people can't even afford that. even if someone is a "hardcore gamer" that doesn't mean they have a bigger pocket than anyone else

currently the highest end processor is the FX-55: 4400+'s and 4200+'s do not exist (at least not yet)
and I highly doubt AMD will move to a different socket so soon after they have released socket 939. I would say they would last maybe even a generation more. look how long they kept Socket A.

Check my sig.

I have what you say, and I play all games with great joy.

CSS.
HL2.
Doom3
Farcry.

I am in no great rush to go and upgrade, nor do I need to. I can run HL2 at 1024x768 med-high and its runs great. 70-90 fps.

Sure, I can go spend another 500 and get a better card, but until the game starts getting choppy and I'm forced to play at 800x600, this'll do juuust fine.

4W4K3 said:
[simply if i was a person who burned CD's, edited mp3's, all that multimedia stuff...i wouldn't do it on my gaming computer. i'd build a secondary computer and trade in my server computer. [/B]

The difference between a gaming box and a TV capture/multimedia box is a TV capture card and maybe 50-100gig more HD, so there's absolutely no need for two PC's.

gaara said:
I fail to see why you would suggest someone buy a processor that doesn't even exist when you could just as easily suggest an FX-55, which seems to be exactly the same processor as the "4400+".

I'm "guessing" that a 4400 or so will be the end point, it's better that I'm wrong and they keep cranking it upwards as that extends the life of your mobo.

Some of us don't have 3 grand to spend on computers, but we do the next best thing. We buy parts that will perform at levels that we require, and we can overclock and tweak said parts to perform at levels equivelent to top of the line parts for hundreds of dollars less]

I'm not a big fan of oclocking anything, except when desperate and prepared for stability probs or component failure, IOW, you'll upgrade if it fails to deliver.

I'm someone who has a fulltime job, so for me to spend $1000AUD per yr is peanuts....anyway, regardless, I speak to hardcore gamers who can afford grunty stuff, I'm not really interested in old machines....I undertstand that you still value your set up...but IMO, the minimum specs for a proper gaming box are AMD 3000, I Gig, 6600GT{this is to buy new}....and you have the option of upgrading the ram to 2 gig later, the CPU to 4400+, and the GPU to either a X850XT at reduced cost or a mid range ATI R520 or Nvidia offering....this system will last a longtime for games, and as long as 5-7 yrs for most other tasks, but as I'm a gamer, my PC's usually only last 3-4 yrs.

apokalipse said:
I know, but some people can't even afford that. even if someone is a "hardcore gamer" that doesn't mean they have a bigger pocket than anyone else

We have to stay on the same page here champ, my definition of hardcore gamer and yours appear diametrically opposed, in that a hardcore gamer wants high fps and high levels of IQ.

eipeks said:
I am in no great rush to go and upgrade, nor do I need to. I can run HL2 at 1024x768 med-high and its runs great. 70-90 fps.
Sure, I can go spend another 500 and get a better card, but until the game starts getting choppy and I'm forced to play at 800x600, this'll do juuust fine.]

You're not a hardcore gamer by my defintion either....you've got 3 more resolutions and eye candy settings to account for, so you're someone who plays games, but my advice is for hardcore gamers.

Plus you've little headroom with your GPU, the next blockbuster will put it under extreme pressure, and with the image quality available these days, the last thing a hardcore gamer would tolerate would be 800x600.

whats your definition of a hardcore gamer, buddy?

I have a PC, PS2, xbox and PSP.

I have played almost every game for all.

Don't berate my geek status bro.

Just because I can't play games with 16x AA and AF doesnt mean Im not 'hardcore'.

sheesh.

know-it alls.

most hardcore gamers arent even on the best comps cuz theyre mostly college kids..

this point is like saying why buy a civic when you should buy a ferrari.... PEOPLE CANT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom