Is there a trick to installing a SATA HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aright, I hate to tell you this but if your Hard drive is still alive then consider yourself lucky.

You are NOT supposed to have two forms of power connected into your SATA drive. You choose one or the other not both. In your picture you have the 4pin molex connector AND the SATA power cable to the HD. This is too much juice for it and could have already killed it.

If it's still alive, likes been said, when you put in the WinXP CD at the beginning you need to hit F6 and install the SATA drivers from a floppy disk.

Hi, Nubioso!

Would you like to tell me which are the two "forms of power" connected to that hard drive.
I bought only two days ago my first SATA hard disk, and mine looks the same as in this picture.

As I see it there's theone with the four colors. That's supposed to be the power supply cable. And then the thin red cable the data connector.
Those are required, at least according to my motherboard USer's guide.

Maybe you are reffering to something visible on the right side??
Well. please let me know, because I'm kinda rookie and I wouldn't want to ruin my brand new harddrive so.
I have only these two cables: the thind red one (SATA data cable) and the (yellow-black-red-yellow cable :) ). Don't get me wrong, I just want to make sure.

OK, as the answer to the other issue.
I installed the Windows XP wthout problems. Initially my BIOS didn't recognised the HDD at all. I was puzzled, but then I booted from the CD of XP and tried to install it. The installation was able to "see" the disk. I finished the installation, and rebooted. From that point the BIOS did recognized the harddisk and everything went as ususal.
I think I recall reading somewhere in the USer guide that for the SATA hard disk Service PAck 1 is required for the XP. I had XP with the SP1 incorporated , so probably contained the drivers for the SATA. I dunno. :)

Rudolf

KingOfHearts said:
Ok, do most people not install windows into their SATA drive? So basically my only options is to put a floppy drive into my new computer and install the drivers. Wouldn't you think that in 2005 their would be a way to not have a floppy drive on your computer and still be able to install drivers? Oh well.......!

mmm what year do you think this is, 2001? :D I know I was finally thinking that I'd seen the last of the floppy drive, then comes sata. I'll be glad when this awkward period of sata is over.

I ended up using an IDE to install win2k, installed the sata drivers, then installed xp on the sata drive. This was because I didn't have a floppy drive on hand, and I certainly wasn't gonna pay for a drive I'd use once then toss(even if it is only 8 bucks).

sata.jpg

Sui said:
mmm what year do you think this is, 2001? :D I know I was finally thinking that I'd seen the last of the floppy drive, then comes sata. I'll be glad when this awkward period of sata is over.

I ended up using an IDE to install win2k, installed the sata drivers, then installed xp on the sata drive. This was because I didn't have a floppy drive on hand, and I certainly wasn't gonna pay for a drive I'd use once then toss(even if it is only 8 bucks).

Xp was made before sata came out.

longhorn in it form right now, requires a floppy

Rudolf said:
Hi, Nubioso!

Would you like to tell me which are the two "forms of power" connected to that hard drive.
I bought only two days ago my first SATA hard disk, and mine looks the same as in this picture.

As I see it there's theone with the four colors. That's supposed to be the power supply cable. And then the thin red cable the data connector.
Those are required, at least according to my motherboard USer's guide.

Maybe you are reffering to something visible on the right side??
Well. please let me know, because I'm kinda rookie and I wouldn't want to ruin my brand new harddrive so.
I have only these two cables: the thind red one (SATA data cable) and the (yellow-black-red-yellow cable :) ). Don't get me wrong, I just want to make sure.

OK, as the answer to the other issue.
I installed the Windows XP wthout problems. Initially my BIOS didn't recognised the HDD at all. I was puzzled, but then I booted from the CD of XP and tried to install it. The installation was able to "see" the disk. I finished the installation, and rebooted. From that point the BIOS did recognized the harddisk and everything went as ususal.
I think I recall reading somewhere in the USer guide that for the SATA hard disk Service PAck 1 is required for the XP. I had XP with the SP1 incorporated , so probably contained the drivers for the SATA. I dunno. :)

Rudolf

Some mobo's actually see it, when booting from cd. most don't

so you're saying that you need a floppy to install sata drivers?? damnit, just when i thought i had bought all the parts necessary for my new comp...

EricB said:
Xp was made before sata came out.

I know, any major change in computers has an awkward period when software wasn't origonally supporting it. I could probably think of a half a dozen examples for this. This will all smooth out when the next windows(longhorn) comes out, and we'll have a whole new set of problems all over again, and it'll keep going like that until no one can understand anything because all words will eventually be abreviated to 1-4 letters...... oops I'm starting to make fun of people again, c u l8r.

P.S. why would lornhorn 'require' a floppy, and where did you see this bit of info?

when I install longhorn on my computer, I had to install the raid drivers from the floppy with the f6 option

Yeah, and LONGHORN is gonna reguire a gig of memory too!
Actually here are it's specs according to Extreme Tech:
Component 32-bit System
CPU Pentium 4 3.2GHz (Northwood)
Memory 1 GB Kingston HyperX PC3200
Graphics ATI Radeon 9800XT (Driver supplied with OS)
Audio Sound Blaster Live 5.1
Motherboard Asus P4C800-E Deluxe (Intel 875P chipset)
Hard Drive Hitachi 250GB SATA, 7200RPM
Optical HP DVD-300i DVD+RW Drive

So people, start planning on shelling out big bucks for those new systems! Liz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom