Blown PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gomer555

Baseband Member
my little sis is using my old comp which is an HP celeron 1.1ghz with 256mb ram. well anyways, it was working fine last night, but a little while ago when she went to turn it on it wouldnt turn on. i looked in the back because the psu has a little green indicator light when it is plugged in, and the light wasnt on. when i would take the wire out and put it back in the PSU, the green light will flicker real quick then turn off, so im thinking that maybe the PSU is blown out? i happen to have an extra one so im gonna try and install it, but that little HP is a pain to get the molex connecters unplugged.

So you are recieving no power at all whatsoever?

The easiest solution would be to simply swap PSUs as you've suggested. If all works well, I think that your assumption is correct.

well bad news is the PSU i have is too big too fit in the case of the HP.

anyone know where i can find a small 150w PSU that i can put in there that is cheap?

yea and im recieving no power whatsoever.

Take the serial number from the PSU and just put it into the google search bar and you should find something.

Yep, most likly psu, but if you want to be sure a couple of companys make a psu tester, that plugs into the 20 pin connector and provides enough resistance to keep from burning it out. BTW how was too big? what kind of crap is HP putting out? gezzz 150, the mouse inside must have died.

it was a small computer, its pretty old too. the PSU i was trying to put in to replace was pretty small itself, but it needs to be even smaller. thats why i need a tiny 150 watt one, like the one that burnt out. ill try the serial number thing.

Try Directron in Houston for a micro power supply. However, it sounds like something is causing the PS to thermal shutdown. "Blown" PS do not restart. But a PS in thermal overload will restart after it cools and the overload removed, but will shut down again when restarted and overloaded.

As psu's are FRU's, I would recommend just getting a new one. Sometimes it is the motherboard, but in this case it sounds like it is the PSU.

leave the psu outside of the case, well on top of the case maybe, and connect everything up,just to check it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom