Could someone help me please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveobeavo

Beta member
Hi,

I'm having some problems with various programs accessing the internet. The main culprits are windows media player, exeem and kazaalite. Now I know the latter two are a bit controversial, but please don't judge me on it.

I have checked loads of forums about this problem but none seem to provide an answer. What it is, is that when any of these programs try to access the internet, they just hang. Occasionally exeem will start responding again after about 5 minutes. They are all allowed access to the internet through zonealarm but none seem to talk to it.
I'm using windows xp sp2, a netgear router, zonealarm firewall. I have ran avg antivirus, spybot, and pc bug doctor? none seem to pick up anything.
I would really appreciate some help from someone on this.

Also I'm new to forums, so if my etiquette isn't up to scratch please let me know.

Thanks Steve

The very first things I would try to elimate them as a problem is disable the zone alarm firewall completely and make sure the the Windows Service pack 2 firewall is also turned off.

I disabled zonealarm completely and made sure windows firewall was off. still getting the same problem. Other people have posted about same sort of problem on exeem or kazaalite on other forums but didn't say if it happened to more than one program, which it does with me.
Cant think of any changes to my setup i have made, it's just completely stumping me

because everybody is using your computer but you. they're probably spoofing other people with email. that's what can happen when you use p2p networks

Common causes of this problem are :
1. Using a proxy server - you will need to configure proxy server settings inside kazaa
2. Port 1214 (default incoming port for kazaa) is blocked.
This port may be blocked by a number of things such as antivirus software, firewalls, security updates, ISPs.

If you are using Kazaa Lite v2, go into the settings & change the incoming port to something other than 1214. (any number above 1024 should work). If not, try using a common port number such as 20, 21, 80 or 8080 etc.
NB first time kazaa attempts to connect after changing port number, may be very slow but it should speed up after first time.

What you can do is run a hijack log thru this program: http://www.hijackthis.de/ Since I do not condone the use of P2P programs and would insist on it's removal to help, if you want to keep it, this is the best I can offer to you for seeing if there is spyware on your computer. IT IS NOT perfect. IT MAKES mistakes and calls things WRONG so it takes an experienced log reader to know what is correct.

To get the newest version of HiJack This, please check my signature. Liz

I appreciate everyone's help on this matter. As far as I am aware i'm not using a proxy server, but then i'm not entirely sure. Also my port on kazaa lite isn't 1214, it's disabled through kazaalite. I've had a look at my hijack this log, to be honest don't really have a clue what half of it means, however i would be lying if i said i would uninstall my p2p software but thanks anyway Southernlady. Oh and EricB, how do you mean other people using my computer would be spoofing other people with email?

usually when your internet connection is hijacking your computer and your cpu alway stays around 100% when you are doing much of nothing, people are using spyware to conduct illegal activites on your computer so it doesn't trace back to them. they usually spam email to other people's computer in this manner too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom