Saving before Reformatting

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyle_godfrey

Baseband Member
It looks as if I'm going to have to reformat my Compaq laptop since it will not boot up. What do I need to do in order to save any files that I want. I do not know how to do this without the computer booting up? Can anyone help with this.

get a drive caridge for your laptop hard drive and attach it to the USB on another system. You can use it as a regular drive and read off whatever information is there. Then put it back and rebuild it...

units are very cheap, <$15

Good luck

Re:

Hello,

ok...you can do two things:

The safest: take your current Hard Drive out from your PC and hook it up into another PC, on slave. Then it's simply a case of drag and drop.

The next method: You have a Compaq right? Do you have recovery discs? There should be a non-desctructive recovery you can do if you have these Compaq Recovery CDs. Even so, you'd need to move all your wanted file into one folder...placed directly into the root of yout drive (like c:/folder/). Reason being is because the clever peeps at Compaq though that it be a good idea for a non-destructive recovery to restore the primary user account to factory settings. Might not do this in your setup, however it's best to copy the files to the folder anyway, so you have like an image. This method should only erase and restore Windows XP system files- not personally created files.

Oh, there is another thing: You could use a Windows XP Home / Professional Installation CD (depending on your version) to do a repair. It's the same as the Compaq Non-Destructive Recovery, except not OEM styled, but Microsoft. It only erases and restores Windows XP system files- not personally created files.

The first method should ideally be done. It's always wise to backup your data first this way, incase the worst happens.

If u have ur OS disk, when u boot up the computer and are about to install the system, choose repair current setup instead. Its just like installin a fresh new copy of it, except without formattin the drive so u can still have ur files.

Inaris said:
get a drive caridge for your laptop hard drive and attach it to the USB on another system. You can use it as a regular drive and read off whatever information is there. Then put it back and rebuild it...

units are very cheap, <$15

Good luck

This is truley the way to go and you will thank yourself later for purchasing this cool little gizmo :)

Saving from Hard Drive

I have been told to disconnect my hard drive from my Compaq laptop and connect it to another computer in order to save some files from it. How do I go about this. Is there a cable for this or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom