What is 3G and voip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
VOIP is an acronym for Voice Over IP, or in more common terms phone service over the Internet.
If you have a reasonable quality Internet connection you can get your phone service delivered to you through your Internet connection instead of from your local phone company.

Some people use VOIP in addition to their traditional phone service, since VOIP service providers usually offers lower rates than the traditional phone companies, but sometimes don't offer full 911 service, phone directory listings, 411 service, etc.

3G: The term used to refer to the next generation of wireless communications technology, the "first generation" having been analog cellular, and the "second generation" being today's digital cellular networks. An initiative of the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) and regional standards bodies, 3G aims to provide universal, high-speed, high-bandwidth (up to 4 Mbps) wireless services supporting a variety of advanced applications.

Hint: If you want to know the definition of something, go to google, and type in "Define:", without the quotes. So for VOIP, you type:

define:voip

:)

So in other words...

VoIP is a new service that uses your broadband as a telephone line. at&t offers it and so does a new company called vontage.

3g is used with cell phones for downloading and web surfing.sprint and verizon and cingular and t-mobile and a few others out there use 3g for their web apps. (HINT: if you have internet service on a at&t,sprint,t-mobile,or cingular internet service....go to www.3gforfree.com for free ringtones,backgrounds,and games for free on your phone.)0_o.

I use Vonage for my business phone here at my office. It works well, acts just like a regular phone. The best part is that is costs less, and I can choose from more features than I can get with a standard phone company.

I have a toll free number, and 5 lines coming in, all hosted off these broadband routers, which they supply for free.

Once I outgrow this setup, I am going to switch to a PBX (public branch exchange) phone server system.

For that, I will have to get either a partial or full T1 line put in.

3G also is coming in stages, so the speeds will tend to increase... probably bi-yearly, but as of now the 4MB has not been achieved. Partially due to just now leaving phase 1 of 3G and lack of supported user hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom