Old video card prob

Status
Not open for further replies.

almach1

Solid State Member
I have an old computer for word procesing and internet use. it's 1ghz Athlon with on board video. I had an old radeon VE 32 meg video card attatched. Recently I tried putting in a 9200 so the little sister could play black and white. Well something happened when I was replacing the video card. After the 9200 was installed and I switched on the power botton on the power supply the computer turned on without pushing the power button on the motherboard. Video card didn't work. So I switched back the radeon VE 32 meg card and the same thing happened. I reset the bios and turned back on the onboard video and that worked. I'm pretty sure I burned out the AGP slot or something. The computer works fine with the onboard video.

Is there anything I could try to save this motherboard or is it toast. I really don't want to invest any money on an old computer and video card.

Try reseating the agp card a few times. They are notoriously twitchy when it comes to being fully inserted in the slot.

Do you get any beeps when the machine tries to boot with agp card in?

Hello,

Hello,

Ok.....you might want to try 'Disabling Onboard Video' in BIOS, before or after installing the AGP Video card. Your probably experiencing conflicts between the two.

...Although...however...you may also be having voltage issues. Some AGP ports on motherboards only accept certain AGP standards, at different speeds and voltages.

unless that board has at least AGP 4x, you won't be able to run the 9200 in your computer. the 9200 is an AGP 8x card, which runs at different speeds and voltages to AGP 2x. AGP 4x and AGP 8x run at the same voltages, and you can run an 8x card in a 4x slot but wouldn't run to its full potential

This video card used to work with this motherboard before. I'm afraid of disableing the onboard video because I won't know how to turn it back on if it doesn't work. This is an old motherboard and I don't think it has a jumper to reset the bios.

If you disable onboard video and hten it doesnt work yes, you may gte a black screen. If this happens, take out the battery of your motherboard and let it sit for a couple minutes, that will completely reset it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom