Won't Start

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooseman

In Runtime
My parents use a old systemax computer and when I was at school (im only 12) my mom was paying bills only(it is the only thing she knows how to do on it beside play solitaire and she needs my 9 year old brother to turn the computer on) but when she was finished she said she took a nap but didnt turn the computer off. After she picked me up from school (I dont take the bus) she wanted to play solitare so when I pressed the button to turn the computer on absolutely nothing happened no lights, whirrs or anything. So I took the hard drive out and hooked it up to a old computer I use with a knoppix linux live cd. It seemed all the files were still on the hard drive so I don't know why it won't start. The old systemax that won't start is
1.7 Ghz AMD atholon xp(i think)
Windows XP SP2
512 MB Ram
ATI Radeon 9200 video card(not the factory default video card)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Robert

sounds liek a blown power supply. Check to see if the cables are all still connected and nothing has been tampered with.

I must say you are quite bright for your age Robert.

If you are recieving no power, I would suggest the culprit would be one of two things. The motherboard may be touching some part of the case and grounding itself out, or the PSU has fried.

Open up the case and smell around for any burnt smells or anything of that sort. Check all power connections and make sure that the PSU is hooked up and working properly. Also make sure the switch at the rear is set to the appropriate one position.

If the above fails to solve the problem, begin slowly taking out unneccessary parts one at a time and see if anything turns on. Hopefully that can get it to a point where even if there is a problem, it should report a beep error via the POST and you can pinpoint the problem.

Re:

Keep it up Robert! Remember..there is no such thing as a geek...but instead a Computer Wizard!

Thanks for all the quick responses Ok I took the PSU out of the systemax that won't start up and hooked it up to the computer that I use with the knoppix linux live cd and the computer turned on fine so I don't think it is the PSU. Any other ideas?

Thanks
Robert

hmm. that only really leaves the motherboard and cpu. have u checked the the power switch cable hasnt come loose from the motherboard? try with only psu motherboard, cpu and graphics card. if still doesnt work and u know the psu is working it only leaves a dead motherboard or dead cpu. More likely itll be the motherboard :( if u wanna replace u can get them cheap enough, about £40 so thats about 60-70 USD i think.

All the cables are tightley in place. Do you know want can cause dead cpu or motherboard?

I must say you are quite bright for your age Robert.
Man, that is what I was thinking when I read this. Half of the people here write something like they are high on crack.

Do not forget the importance of proper English and manners when you get older. It seems most of the people now days see no importance in spelling, grammar, paragraphs, capitalization etcÂ…

Thanks for all the replies :D. It sounds like my dad just wants to replace whatever is broken the CPU or motherboard (or whatever part is broken) but now the question is how do we find out which part has expired?

Thanks,
Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom