Weird Buzzing Sounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echo Kilo

Baseband Member
I just upgraded my laptop HD from a 4200 to a Hitachi 5400 speed w/ 8m cache.

My last hard drive was noiseless, but this one - although fast, makes quite an annoying buzzing noise.

Is this true of all fast hard drives? Suggestions?

I think you just answered your own question. How fast is this new Hard Drive? 7200, 10k, or 15k rpms?

If you were to open your case and place your hand on the hard drive, does it vibrate more than it should? If you have both hard drives in the pc, does one vibrate more than the other? Is the new one properly seccured to your bay that it is in?

yes i would agree witht he above post, when a hard drive spins, the 15krpm ones sound nice, makes you feel cool when you have 2 of them in your pc lol.it doesnt really buzz, just grinds a bit sometimes. i would check the seating

Ooops, I should have mentioned this is a laptop. It is tightly installed.

Old HD: 4200 rpm (silent)

New HD: 5400 rpm (annoying buzz - occasionally)

Hmm,..keep an eye on that drive. It may actually be pending failure. (I know, new hard drive, can't be bad right?)

Personally, I never will used Hitachi, I only replace them after they fail.

Re:

Hello,

I agree...perhaps your waiting for an explosion...

However maybe it's supposed to be like that. Maybe you'll need to adjust. Most of my family think that my ear is permanently attached to my PC Case, or occasionally very close to a fan. I get extremely paranoid. Even when the fans spin on POST, I wack the nearest champagne glass with a spoon and listen intently...:rolleyes: :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom