new amd system

Status
Not open for further replies.

revolution

Baseband Member
hi there...
im trying to build a new system....i only have $1500 but the problem is i want an amd system.but i cant come up with something that is going to be as good as an intel 3.4 with modeling and animation...so if you can help me that would be cool...its going to be mainly used for modeling with maya and 3d max....and some online gaming......
thanks for your help in advance...
yora

Not sure exactly how to configure a machine for animations and such...but i'll try.

AMD A64 3200+ 939 Winchester
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-500&depa=1

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum NF3-U
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-130-468&depa=1

EVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT(you will want the AGP version if u get the mobo above) http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-130-214&depa=1

Seagate 80 GB Barracuda 7200RPM SATA with NCQ Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-148-040&depa=1

G.skill (Samsung TCCD) Dual Channel Kit 184-Pin 1GB(512MB x 2) DDR PC-3200
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-231-008&depa=1

Really thought that system is probably for overclocking, you could easily save $150 and get some generic PC3200 (possible 2GB if u need it.) That is well under $1500 and should leave you with money for a case and what not, you'll need a quality PSU as well.

might be worth looking at a pci-e graphics card and motherboard becuase the pci graphics cards are abit cheaper than the agp versions ive found and u can spend this on gettin the more expensive pci-e motherboard and this will give u the option to upgrade later on :)

That's what I was thinking. With a PCI-E motherboard, chances are you can actually put the "NCQ" feature of the HD to actual use. I believe it's only enabled in the NForce4 ultra/sli motherboards not the vanilla Nforce4.

In anycase, with the extra $$ u spend on the AGP version of the 6600 GT, you might want to invest in a nforce4 ultra MB, and get the cheaper 6600 GT PCI-E version.

revolution said:
hi there...
im trying to build a new system....i only have $1500 but the problem is i want an amd system.but i cant come up with something that is going to be as good as an intel 3.4 with modeling and animation

Just for FYI an AMD does not compare to an Intel in power hungry apps. Intels handle the demand of CPU power very well with the long fat pipelines it has. But if you want an AMD and want it to compare as a intel 3.4 in modeling and animation you gonna need to spend a lil more ie: AMD FX-55

Re: Re: new amd system

uzi9mm said:
Just for FYI an AMD does not compare to an Intel in power hungry apps. Intels handle the demand of CPU power very well with the long fat pipelines it has. But if you want an AMD and want it to compare as a intel 3.4 in modeling and animation you gonna need to spend a lil more ie: AMD FX-55

Hey Uzi. What do you mean by "power hungry" apps?.. Don't know what u mean by "power" in this context.

Any program or application that uses your CPU to the fullest extent.

When I said "power hungry" I meant, that it uses resources that are greater then average/normal consumer programs.

Re: Re: new amd system

uzi9mm said:

"power hungry apps" is a pretty general term. Gaming can be power hungry (more so than some multi media apps) and my little mobile chip at 2.6GHz outperforms a 3.4GHz P4 system.

What i think u are saying is by "power hungry" you mean specifically graphic editing, video editiong stuff right? Cuz' thats where Intel's really shine. Is that what you meant?

Uzi9mm, it dont take a FX-55 to do those types of tasks. Personally, i think a 3500 winchester would work great. This cpu is on the expensive side, but its great for OC, while it wont be out-dated for some time. The power issue, i dont understand what you mean... Its not like your computer will suddenly turn off.. Or maybe you ment it towards heat. But the LGA775 run hotter then AMD64 anyway.

As far as PCI Express or APG, its up too you. At the moment AGP is just fine, they still offer top-line cards. Soon mobo's will be able to utilize PCI Express, while APG will stand still. So PCI Express obviously has a beter future. That wont be for another few years though.

The NEW socket 939 mobo's are out, while they are from 150+. But you dont need the best mobo on the market. I think for you, your cpu/video card, you should spend the most money on. Even a 3200 winchester would work fine. Member you can OC these chips ALOT, witch will increase preformance.

Yeah, I use Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 and my rendering/composting times are better then some AMD's that out perform my CPU in games. I havent seen first hand what the difference is between AMD and Intel in 3-D modeling and animation but I have read that the Intel has a slight edge. Correct me if I am wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom