Downed CRT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus

Daemon Poster
Unfortunately, I believe that my CRT has just met it's end.:( . While my friend was playing, he touched the screen (which I have told him time and time again not to do), and we hear this little zap. First thing that hit my mind was that he had accumulated enough static to ruin something such as this. Now, we have to place our hands on the top corners to make the screen to reappear for like 2 seconds before it blips out again. It wasn't a very expensive monitor ($50), but now I need to get one fast before I go to my competitions. I have decided upon an LCD now, and I have looked at BestBuy, Office Max and Circuit City for a good yet inexpensive one ($200 - $250). Can someone offer suggestions on one? I am not going to order one, as it will take time. As stated, I need this monitor ASAP. BB, OM, and CC are the three closest tech related stores, so please offer choices from those three stores only.

R.I.P little 17" MAG CRT monitor:( ...*sniff sniff*

Yes, I will be doing gaming, apps, internet browsing and all that good stuff on it. The one big, main reason that I'm going for an LCD is for the weight. I have hardly any muscles and CRTs are really heavy for me, but my bor's LCD was like super light.
Foxy, so you suggest a MAG or a Viewsonic? Thanks, that narrows my search down.

An LCD can be great, but just don't skimp too much. Like tajahem said, look for 16ms or less on response time, and fairly high contrast ration, maybe 450:1 or more.

You are going to find a tough time attempting to obtain a LCD good for gaming, while keeping it under 250, especially if you are looking at those stores.

If you are willing to up your budget about 80 bucks, this would be alright for your needs, of course its online so it is cheaper, but shipping will probably be heavy. 19inches and 16ms response time (what you want in an LCD)
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-211-003&depa=1

You wont need to up your budget for this one, but it is online. Less than 250 still, this will work very nicely, but its 17inch (its alright). Still speedy response and shipping still keeps you under budget.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-103-204&depa=1

And finally, not a bad buy here either. The limited best buy inventory offers only one decent solution, but it is 280. 14ms response time an 17inches will do you alright, dont know the brand though.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...71841&productCategoryId=cat01010&type=product

the samsung 17 inch analog input 16 ms 700:1 color ratio was on sale on newegg one day for a price of 240 after rebates

Yep. I got a Samsung 17" 600:1 color ratio the very next day (2/16/05). It's seems pretty good, but...I don't know...something seems to be missing. Maybe it's all the space that the CRT took up on my desk? Well, nontheless, I like it. And for the first time in a very long time, I set the resolution to 1280X1024! I have always looked at a 600x800 resolution. Man, there is a ton of free space on my desktop now! Thanks for all the input all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom