CPU with Thermal Compound...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re:

Hello again,

ok....I've spent the bulk of this afternoon cleaning and re-applying Artic Silver 5 Compound onto the CPU Die. I've ensured that i've applied a very thin film this time, and made sure I haven't gone overboard.

So I've just booted up, and looking at the average CPU temperature of the CPU...and it's reading an average of 48°C at the moment. Still, when I touch the heatsink (http://www.pccooler.cn/english-www/product/product_9c_38.html) it doesn't feel hot, it feels like room temperature. My case temperature is an average 34°C, so not much difference.

I've ensured that the heatsink is properly seated on the CPU die, with the screws tightly fitted. It seems to be conducting a little more heat than before, but I still get round about the same average temperature. So should I blame the compound?

Should I wait a little longer? I've made sure that there is enough airflow...plus the CPU temperature doesn't change much with the case open. The heatsink did come with a sachet of heatsink compound (ceramic I think), made by a company called 'Stars'. Should I trial this and see if there is any difference?

Your case temp of 37C (thats 99F !!!) is too hot. Its definetly an airflow problem if you are running nearly 100F inside the case. What is your room temperature? You should be closer to ~25C case temp.

What voltage is your CPU running at? If not overclocked it should be at 1.65V.

I would blame an inaccurate temp reading from the mobo. If you have properly seated the HSF and don't have TOO MUCH/TOO LITTLE (check for that) thermal compound and are still getting insanely high temps it could just be a bad temp reading. But again, with a case temp of 99F your not going to get a low CPU temp, u need a cooler room if you've already maxxed out case fans and all of that.

Re:

Haven't overclocked...and current avg. temp is 47°C ...this is with the case open. I think I'll do an 'open-air' setup, and instead re-paste it with the ceramic thermal compound that the heatsink came with. I'll feedback on that.

it might not be reading the temp right.post up what kind of case you have and all that.also make sure that your fans are sucking in from the front and exhausting in the back. I have an amd 3000+ 64bit cpu in a aluminum case with stock hsf and in bios, my average temp reading is about 32° celsius.Let us know the above.

xcoreyx said:
I have an amd 3000+ 64bit cpu in a aluminum case with stock hsf and in bios, my average temp reading is about 32° celsius.

his is an XP, its a shame the XP's aren't as cool as the 64bit's.:(

Re:

Hello,

(Firstly, thanx everyone for your continued efforts in helping me :D). I have a Compaq Presario S5500UK, Micro ATX, with the following specs:

- Antec SmartPower SL300SPGB 300w PSU
- Antec Smart Cool Thermally Controlled 92mm Case Fan
- PC Cooler (PA9C-3CUAL) Heatsink (http://www.pccooler.cn/english-www/product/product_9c_38.html)

- AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Processor
- 512MB DDR RAM DIMM
- Inno3D FX5700LE 256MB AGP Graphics Card
- HP DVD Writer 300c
- Samsung CD-RW Drive
- Seagate 120GB HDD

I am now observing temperature in an open-air setup, will all components outside the case...and here are my current temperatures:

- Room Temperature: 20°C
- Average CPU Temperature: 43°C
- Average Motherboard Ambient Temperature: 31°C

These temperatures are worrying, especially outside of the case. Still, when I touch the heatsink, it feels cold. I don't think there is good thermal conduction. I don't want to give up :p ! I'm going to trial my old heatsink with silver compound. I'll also try applying fresh paste, instead using the ceramic paste that came with the heatsink. I'll post back.

Re:

Hello,

I've installed my old stock heatsink which is smaller, and layered a thin film of silver 5 compound. The average CPU temperature is 53°C. The case diode measures 33°C and the room temperature is 20°C. These results are in an open-air system setup, outside the case.

I think that there is some fauly in temperature measurements. Or perhaps, do you think the Thermal Interface Cleaner i'm using is causing these dramatic temperatures? I use TIM-Clean by Akasa ( http://www.akasa.co.uk/spec/thermal/spec_ak_tc.htm). A review stated it doesn't use any clogging oils.

I'm gonna try with the ceramic paste now and see if there is any improvements.

Whats your full load CPU Temp?

Honestly that's really not that high. My 2400+ XP would idle, yes IDLE up at 65C, god knows what it hit at full load, but that was stock HSF, no case fans or anything way back in the day when I didn't know as much. Even when I got an aftermarket heatsink and AS5 and all that good stuff it went down to 55C idle.

if it's hitting 60C on full load then you should try to get it even cooler, but even then it's not as big deal as everyone seems to be making it out to be.

Your case temp really is high though and if you're room is nowhere near 100F (I sure hope not :p ) then I would attribute most of it to bad temp readings.

As far as cleaning goes, just use 99% isopropyl alcohol to get that gunk off.

Re:

Hello,

:D I think my paranoia has ran out now :) . I think i've done everything I can, and i'm leaving it at an average CPU Temperature of 45°C. It's not too bad :D ...umm..thanks peeps.

...faulty temperature diode...that's what it is...yeeep :rolleyes: :D .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom