Case Modder's Tool Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLobes

Baseband Member
Alright. After my first case mod, I've decided to compile a list of thing you should have around the house when you are going to do a case mod, and soon to come links to where you can get them, or just take a peek, to see what they look like.

Dremel Rotary Tool
EXTREMELY USEFUL!! Preferably pick up the one with the variable speeds, and if ur loaded, get the cordless one, really nice fore getting in those cramped parts of ur case. Eye protection is a must, since spaks will fly, and a breathing filter mask is a VERY good idea.

ALSO! Pick up the cutting set! This set includes about 40 of the disks that come standard with the dremel tool, as well as around 20 heavy duty (double thickness) disks, and about 12 specialty disks. If it's your first time doing a case mod, you are going to break ALOT of disks. Just get it while you're at the store, dont make yourself go back out.

One last thing with the Dremel. If you plan on cutting plastic, plexiglass/acrylic, or anything that will melt, pick up the spiral saw attatchement. This will cut thru it with minimal friction, so it is clean, not messy and goopy like what happens if u cut it with a traditional disk.

There are also a multitude of other attatchments which are infinately useful like the right angle tool, or the snake extension (flexible, 2 foot long drveshaft for ur Dremel) But these arent nessecery

Flashlight-
Duh. For LIGHT.

Tin Snips-
Though not as subtle as the Dremel, these can be useful when shearing off a bolt or something, where it really isnt worth breaking 3 cutting disks.

Dust Buster-
This is optional, any vacuum cleaner with a hose will work. What i do when cutting my case is i hold the tool with one hand, and the dust buster with the other, and hold the cerviace tool right next to where i'm cutting, so it sucks most of the dust up before it can get into the case, where its a royal pain in the ass to clean up. If dust DOES get into ur case, get an air compressor from a friend, and blow it out, a vacuum isnt going to cut it.

Ratcheting Screwdriver Set-
This is also very helpful. This way, you dont have to rummage thru a big box of all ur screwdrivers to find the right size, and the ratcheting is always a plus. Also, the black and decker set has a few bits that i dont have real screwdrivers for, like the hex bolts, so those are helpful.

Needlenose Plyers-
These are a MUST! Get screws out of those cracks that definately should not be in a computer case, or finish off a job that a Dremel tool wasnt subtle enuf for, just wiggle it a little.

Electrical/Packing/Duct tape-
If you are doing a complete case mod like I did (PC in a mac G4 case) Nothing is going to fit COMPLETELY right, and chances are, ur mobo is going to be resting on something metal. Just slap down some electrical tape(if no one will see it), some packing tape(if people WILL see it) or sum duct tape (if you're that kinda person) and everything will be alright.

Thin Cardboard-
Keep some of this around when you're starting ur mod. Maka a scale model of ur mobo, along with all the cards/RAM/Heatsinks sticking up out of it, so u can make sure where you are planning to fit your mobo is somewhere it will actually fit. Also, making stensiles for your rear ports is a good call. Make sure it fits over the rear of ur mobo, then trace the holes on the rear of the case.

Sharpie Marker-
Pretty obvious. U mark stuff with it. Mark places you need to cut out, or make pretty drawings on the inside of the case.

Someone who knows just about as much computers as you-
You will probably reach the stage in ur case mod when you get so exasperated, you will do something drastic in a last ditch effort to get ur mod finished (Yeah... YEAH!! I can HOTGLUE the mobo to the side of the case!! It will work!!) This is where your friend comes in handy, and provides you with a little common sence.

A 24-pack of Bawls. -
This shouldn't need an explaination. Bawls 4 teh win.

Anti-Static bracelet things-
The last thing you want to happen after you managed to cram your compy into whatever u crammed it into is find out that it isnt working because you didnt spend 3 bucks at the store for this thing, and static electricity shorted ur mobo. Supposedly touching a big piece of metal works just as well, but i'd rather have the bracelet.

A healthy dose of confidence, mixed with caution- If you are cautious and sensible, you WONT break your computer. If you're wondering if something is a good idea, it probably isn't. A good rule of thumb for guys(works for me anyway) is, don't force anything in your computer harder than you would hit youself in the genitals. And if ur a chick... i dunno, use common sence i guess =).

I will probably add to this later, and if anyone else has something to add, please post it =)
I hope this helps all you aspiring case-modders out there.

Wow!

Wow, thanks guys! I appreciate the positive responce, and if someone would sticky this i would be eternaly greatful =)

Keep the comments coming.

yes good job, cept you forgot to mention a sawzall! :D kidding. I like the 24 pack bit, because everybody knows that your mods come out so much better when your drunk :D

Sui said:
because everybody knows that your mods come out so much better when your drunk :D

bawlz isn't an alcohol...its like 95% caffeine. unless there is a beer called bawlz that i don't know of lol.

ahhh my bad, made an asumption, but you still need beer, or vodka, or maybe everclear. Cause it makes your mistakes look so much better, and more comical in my case

Just today i was talking with the Mac tool guy that comes to my job, about a tool kit. Of course something with small screw drivers and such. He said he'll get back to me next week, since he dont carry that sort of stuff. Fun you mention MODD tools, i was just preparing today.

Bawls

Sui, here's a link to the best price I've found for Bawls (the CompUSA near me sells them for $1.75 US a bottle) Best caffene drink ever. Coffee never did much for me, but whoa, this stuff is a winner.

Yuck, that stuff is nasty. I profer any kind of opoid and a cigarette. Or h3rb and the following. Man, where did all this talk come from lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom