comp lies about processor speed. part2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seria

PC Cutie ^_^
I have had this problem b4 and I was able to fix it with your help > http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36341 . But now the problem is on another computer and the bios is different.

The comp thinks that the CPU is an 1800+ instead of a 2400+

FYI->
mobo: KT4V-L
CPU: AMD 2400+

The bios configuration on this comp wont let me change the “Current Host Clock” which is set @ 100MHz instead of 133MHz.

Here is where I am.

In "bios"->
In "Advanced Chipset Features"->
In (Menu 1) "DRAM Timing Control"->
Not in (Menu 2) "AGP Timing Control"
Not altering (Menu 3/Option) "PCI Delay Transaction" (which is set to disabled)
When I am in (Menu 1) this what I see:

Current Host Clock = ‘100MHz’ (unchangeable, I don’t know why. This is what I need to change, right?.)
Configure SDRAM Timing by = ‘SPD’ (the other option is ‘auto’)
SDRAM Frequency = ‘auto’ (when I changed this to 333MHz nothing changed. The computer is still thinks that the CPU is an 1800+ instead of a 2400+)
SDRAM CASH Latency = ‘auto’ (unchangeable unless the ‘SDRAM timing’ is set to ‘auto’)
Row Percharge Time = ‘auto’ (unchangeable unless the ‘SDRAM timing’ is set to ‘auto’)
RAS Pulse width = ‘auto’ (unchangeable unless the ‘SDRAM timing’ is set to ‘auto’)
RAS to CAS delay = ‘auto’ (unchangeable unless the ‘SDRAM timing’ is set to ‘auto’)
Bank interleave = ‘4-Way’ (unchangeable unless the ‘SDRAM timing’ is set to ‘auto’)
SDRAM Burst Length = ‘4 QW’
SDRAM 1T command = ‘disabled’
Fast Command = ‘fast’
fast R-2-R turnaround = ‘disabled’

I do not know what 95% of that means.

I do not know what I need to do, to change the (unchangeable) “Current Host Clock”

I hope all of that is not too confusing.

Your help is greatly appreciated, pre-thank you.

First thought: Have you set the FSB jumper on your Mobo to the appropriate setting? Refer to the manual on how to do this if you're unsure.

EDIT: Leave your RAM frequency in BIOS to 'Auto', until you've set your FSB correctly...

Firstly, if you have an athlon XP 2400+, it will run at about 1.9 to 2GHz (FSB of 133MHz). If you have a sempron 2400+, it will run at about 1.7Ghz (FSB of 166MHz).

Neither will actually run at 2.4GHz although any 2400+ cpu should be using a FSB or higher than 100MHz obviously.

Check your mobo manual as DoomUK suggested for how to change the FSB setting. It may be referred to as something else other than 'FSB' such as CPU core frequency, CPU clock speed, Base frequency....

What speed is the RAM you are using?

in the manual there is a section that says: CPU Core Speed Derivation Precedure

it read:

if 'CPU clock' = '100MHz'
'core/bus ratio' = '14'

then 'CPU core speed' = 'host clock' x 'core/bus ratio'
='100MHz' x '14'
= '1.4GHz'

but it does not say how to alter the '100MHz' to '133MHz'

I think I was looking at the Taiwan site, same thing though.

I've been trying to find the FSB jumper in your manual that I downloaded, but to no avail (I find Acrobat Reader a little annoying to navigate when you're in a hurry lol). So far it only lists the CMOS jumper...

As Samm said, what RAM are you using?

I found this in the manual if it helps:

on page 2-6
there is this heading.

CPU Clock Frequency Selection Through BOIS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom